Solar Generator/battery backup question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a good friend who lives in Arizona I spoke with today and he was asking me if I had any knowledge about portable solar generator/battery type power packs.

I have seen them on the web and on Amazon, but have no knowledge of which brand would be best.

Even though they rarely lose power, his concern is being able to run his CPAP machine and refrigerator when and if power goes out. Also he was looking for one that is portable enough to take with him when they travel. (he is thinking something in the 2,000 to 2,500 watt system range)

Anyone own one? Anyone knowledgeable about them?

I told him I would post on OSA because there are quite a few knowledgeable individuals that have diverse knowledge about many subjects.

Even though I installed my own small solar system at our place in New Mexico, and have a fairly large solar array here at our place here in Oklahoma, I have no clue about the portable solar generator/battery backup devices.

Any info appreciated.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought this one and so far I love the thing. It'll run my pellet grill for 12 hours according to the display. The grill runs 35 watts or so (once it's lit), but when the auger kicks in it adds about 30 more watts, so with it bouncing back and forth from 35 to 65 watts I don't know for sure. I know I did a 3 hour cook the other day and it has 70% battery charge left. The grill will pull 250 watts of load when the ignitor is burning at startup, but once it kicks off, this little guy will go a long time. It's going to be quite handy to have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVLPGS79?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CPAP is no problem, but the fridge is the biggest problem. I would suggest a smaller system for the CPAP/cell phones and a larger dedicated system for the fridge. Also, look at the power outage history. I have a gas/propane generator to run the fridge but my power hasn't gone out long enough in 5 years to ever crank it up. I've thought about a GENRAC whole house system but why spend that kind of money on something I will only use for about an hour a year?

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of these, for my CPAP, but have yet to use it. Nice to have as a backup since running the generator at night is rather noisy.

Edit: One thing of note is they will be more efficient and last longer if you use the 12 volt output, to power your CPAP. Just get the car adapter for it.

scramp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

The Eco-Flow Delta uses NiCad batteries that have a history of catching fire. Their New Delta 2 uses safer LiFePO4 batteries with four times charging life.

I currently have a Honda 2000K generator that I love. When I use it to power up our fridge, most of the time it's unloaded till the fridge comes on. I'm looking at the EcoFlow DELTA 2 Max Portable Power Station. It's able to run many items at the same time with clean power. This way I only run the generator a few hours a day under max load rather than idle all day. Saves fuel, noise and control.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Solar Generator" is a marketing lie. There are very limited capacity (when used in the context of a gas generator), slow to recharge from solar panel, batteries that will help run a few small things like fans, LED lights, keep electronics charged etc.

If you want something that will keep things in your house running for days you need to look at gasoline, natural gas, or propane generators. The ones from Harbor Freight are inexpensive and surprisingly good quality.

Just remember to stock gas for them. I have about six 5 gallon Jerry cans treated with Pri-G. I stagger them one month apart on fills. So one can a month gets drained into a vehicle and then refilled. Since they are done every 6 months (Pri-G is good for a year but why wait until the last second?) it just keeps on rotating.

I have a small Yamaha 2000W inverter generator that is whisper quiet and will run for 10.5 hours on a gallon of gas at 1/4 load and produces very clean sine wave electricity so I trust my sensitive electronics like ham radios to it.

Next, I have a 6,500W generator from HF that can run my whole house HVAC (I had an electrician wire up my fuse box so I can pick the breakers I want to power) along with the fridge, lights, TVs, etc.

I exercise (run) both generators every other month and change the oil once a year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom