Soldier's selfie sparks outrage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't worship a piece of cloth
I worship the memories of lives lost defending what the flag stands for.

At first I was gonna "fify" and move on to my typical morning routine. But it made me think of a buddy I lost.

I cherish the memories of lives lost defending the idea of what our flag used to or should stand for. Im not always proud of our flag and im not always proud of our soldier, sailors, airmen and marines. Sometimes they do dumb stuff, esp the country that flys that flag.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't worship a piece of cloth
I worship the memories of lives lost defending what the flag stands for.

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_nazisalutetoflagh_zps592aa423.jpg

These children also payed respect to their flag.

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_chinaesesalute_zpsa0e0ad7b.jpg

These Chinese people also show allegiance to their flag and undoubtedly to the millions that died for the will of the State.

And worship you say?
Worshiping memories sounds a lot like paganism (not that's there is anything wrong with that).

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These children also payed respect to their flag. These Chinese people also show allegiance to their flag and undoubtedly to the millions that died for the will of the State. And worship you say? Worshiping memories sounds a lot like paganism (not that's there is anything wrong with that).

Why don't you go spend a little time in the military and let us know if your opinions change of what the flag means to a vast majority of servicemen and veterans. This has nothing to so with Chinese kids. So I'm not sure why your even using that logic.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't you go spend a little time in the military and let us know if your opinions change of what the flag means to a vast majority of servicemen and veterans. This has nothing to so with Chinese kids. So I'm not sure why your even using that logic.
Typical response. "Why don't you get in the military and chest-thump too!"
My point earlier was flag-worship is a hallmark of allegiance to the state. All totalitarian states promote devotion by their citizens. It is one thing to worship a god, it is quite another to worship a man-made object created by men to control other men.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stop being a troll, Slug. The flag does not represent government. It represents our country and its people. Some of who died to keep it free. Sounds like you, being a troll, wouldn't understand that.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_nazisalutetoflagh_zps592aa423.jpg

These children also payed respect to their flag.

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_chinaesesalute_zpsa0e0ad7b.jpg

These Chinese people also show allegiance to their flag and undoubtedly to the millions that died for the will of the State.

And worship you say?
Worshiping memories sounds a lot like paganism (not that's there is anything wrong with that).

Wait, are you saying that those flags represent the same thing as our flag, and as such are worthy of the same respect? seriously?
I dont think you get it. Ergo, you are basing your opinion on a falsehood.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typical response. "Why don't you get in the military and chest-thump too!"
My point earlier was flag-worship is a hallmark of allegiance to the state. All totalitarian states promote devotion by their citizens. It is one thing to worship a god, it is quite another to worship a man-made object created by men to control other men.

I refer you to your Mark Twain quote. It is simple "loyalty to the Nation" through honoring the symbol. Flag Day honors the adoption of the Flag Resolution on 14 June 1777 by the Second Continental Congress. I COULD make the argument that the flag was here before the government, or, using your term, "the state".

This symbol, more than any other, represents those who served, and in some cases died for, their Nation. I don't think most of us here like what we see in our government. I don't really see any government "worship" on this board.

Try this: The flag is to the government to what religion often is to its chosen deity. Religion ain't necessarily God, and the Flag ain't necessarily the government.

A wise old soldier once said "While I may not agree with anything you say, I shall defend to the death your right to speak."

That is the true meaning of the American Flag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom