Speedy EMSA driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 10 mph max over the posted speed limit is probably a CYA for EMSA. I doubt its ever enforced but if something like this happens they can point an say "We said not to go more than 10 over." It probably keeps their insurance lower too. At least it used to...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
[...] It's just the impression I got there was "when they are coming, you had better get the hell out of their way or you would likely get smacked out of the way". It seemed that most of the drivers out there understood this. [...]

Would be nice. I gotta say it literally blows my mind seeing some dimwit tooling along in the left lane in front of an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens going. W. T. F.

Move over, moran!

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was there within two minutes after it happened and my initial thought was that the driver of the Scion was killed, there was nothing left of the driver's side. EMSA had to have been flying and he was coming up on an intersection going the wrong way. Very very bad risk for him to take. The Scion driver never had a clue.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back in the days when I was driving an Ambulance, (1979-1981) it was an Okc Municipal ordinance that we could not drive more then 10 mph over the posted speed limit even with lights and sirens. This did not apply to Fire or Police.

I can't find it at the moment, but Title 47 had a section that said an Emergency vehicle could speed faster than the speed limit as long as there was "due regard for the safety of others".

I, like others was not there and did not see anything or hear anything other than what the news said on Channel 4. From that report, it makes him look guilty of negligent homicide which strangely enough is a misdemeanor and only punishable by fine and up to a year in the County Jail.

rings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that all emergency vehicles are responsible if they blow a light and get in a wreck...lights/sirens or not. I wanna say its Title 47:6-?? Ill have to look in my titles book when I get home from work tonight. City police have some leniency but still fairly strick rules on over-taking cars wile on a call, certain calls allow for more leniency like officer involved shooting or such.

It sucks that this happened!!

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This really sucks for everyone involved. A year or two back I was going west on northwest expressway and one of those EMSA SUVs blew by me and all the other traffic and hopped on and off the center median going well over the 10 mph over rule. I respect you and I know you are trying to help people, but it doesn't help anyone if you hurt yourself or someone else on the way to a scene.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having spent more time than I care to remember behind the wheel of an ambulance as medic, it's a dangerous job.

As an old EMSA Field Training Officer I suppose I could armchair quaterback the crews decisions and quote rules and regs...........but I won't. I wasn't there.

There will be an investigation and the crew will either be found to have followed established protocols or not. If they were negligent, they'll have to answer for their actions.

It sucks all the way around. My condolences to all involved.

BC

Last edited:

jdubya

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ambulance was in the opposing lanes because of stopped traffic. Common tactic for emergency vehicles. The Scion was going the same direction and decided to turn left. Thats where the wreck happened. 80 is way too fast on 10th st.

Latest posts

Top Bottom