Spoonbill/paddlefish run????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I have never tried to catch any of these big fish and was wondering for those in the know, about what time of year do they start making their spawning runs and other than WAY up in the NE part of the state, where do you go to try your luck? Any places in Central OKlahoma?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only snagged below Kaw lake, and on private land along the Salt Fork River. I know there is some great snagging in Miami Ok, but have never been there. I'm sure there will be somebody along shortly to help out there.

Its a little early for them to start their runs. They start around the end of this month, and depending on the river flows in my neck of the woods, it can go until June.
There are lots of regulations concerning spoonbill snagging. Make sure you read them carefully and comply completely. I know around Kaw, they take no prisoners if you have a violation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are Spoonbills hatched by the department and released...? What kind of shape is the fishery in..?

Are they good eating...?

Yes, the ODW raises and releases the spoonbill.
they tend to swim upstream in a current so are good to put into the flood control lakes we have in Ok.
They stocked a lot of them in Kaw a few years ago to try and establish a fishery. I'll have to look, but they are not fast growers, and it takes tons of years to get to the 90+ lb range that have been caught below Kaw.

They do not have a skeleton, only a few ribs, and some cartilage back to the tail. Easy to clean, and tasty if one is ruthless cutting the fat from the fish.
I've served it at fish fry's and never had a complaint.

BTW, Over the years, I've kept three, from the many I've snagged. I prefer to catch and release, to catch them again.
I can assure you that catching two or three in a swift current and getting them to the bank to keep or release, will make you hurt the next day:D

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the ODW raises and releases the spoonbill.
they tend to swim upstream in a current so are good to put into the flood control lakes we have in Ok.
They stocked a lot of them in Kaw a few years ago to try and establish a fishery. I'll have to look, but they are not fast growers, and it takes tons of years to get to the 90+ lb range that have been caught below Kaw.

The state doesn't actually raise them. However the federal hatchery at Tishomingo does raise and stock them. The largest part of the stocking have been in lake Texhoma for several years now.

The fishery at Grand lake is the largest paddle fish fishery in the world. Thus the reason that Oklahoma has an open season on them, unlike many other states.

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Langley/Disney below the damn. Always a good place. However it can get crowded at times and be sure to know the local regulations on where it is legal to snag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom