Spray for underbrush in trees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a herbicide that will kill Weeds and grass and stuff in shelter belts but not hurt the trees? I have a row of very mature Cedar trees but it seems like hell trying to keep the crap out from inside of them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much any brush killer can also kill trees; the trick is to follow the directions on concentrations and getting as little of it on the trees as possible. If you read the label on poison ivy killer, f’rinstance, if you apply it at full concentration to a stump, it’ll help destroy the stump, but if you use it at the recommended concentration and take care in application, it’s fine to use around trees. I’ve used it to kill big ol’ poison ivy vines on mature oaks with no harm to the trees.

Of course, in this part of the world, killing the cedars would be an added benefit, not a problem…

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of RM43, it does awesome on fencelines and such...but they say it'll kill cedars too. Then you read the directions on how to apply to cedars and it's basically cut the trunk open and pour it in. Seems if that's what it takes, that spraying a normal dilution for grass underneath would be fine but I'd hate to find out I was wrong.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds promising?
From RM43 website FAQ
Screenshot_20230721_213744.jpg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a herbicide that will kill Weeds and grass and stuff in shelter belts but not hurt the trees? I have a row of very mature Cedar trees but it seems like hell trying to keep the crap out from inside of them.

Recently acquired a place that has a 200‘ fence line that has huge cedars inside the fence. I am talking an average of 15‘ wide full growth width to the ground and heights of 16’ or more, and they are closely planted to each other. No walking through them. I cleaned up under them with a Gravely mower as far as I could get it under them. Then a diluted rate of RM43 doing my best to keep off the Cedars. Have sprayed now for 5 months, no issues. But these Cedars are big and dense so not a lot of undergrowth for lack of any sun.

I know I should take my backhoe and take them out, but they are on a cool fence line lining a 3/4 acre Bermuda pasture of an old farm barn lot. They planted them for a windbreak around an old cow barn and pens. I’ll leave em be for the looks.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of spraying, use a paint brush.
Brush the solution on the vines and avoid the tree, as much as possible.

Don't have to dilute as much, works better, but takes more effort.

Latest posts

Top Bottom