Spray for underbrush in trees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean that as using per label for area spraying...
I'm gonna mix some up today and give it a whirl. I think once it does its thing I might move in some pine needles under the cedars to try and keep future growth out. I have a bed of needles under the pine tree and nothing grows through that!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For others not knowing difference...

Roundup kills the stuff but that's it

RM43 kills it and prevents anything from growing there for a LONG time. I got over a year from my fenceline treatment from last year and just went over it all again to keep it going before anything came up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never known rm43 to harm trees but also haven't sprayed it around anything but mature trees. imazapyr isn't like bromicil in Hyvar or Double 6. Double 6 is bromicil and #2 fuel oil and some other ethel. So it's flammable even lol. I've never used or even seen that one. Probably restricted use like Atrizine and Paraquat.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of spraying, use a paint brush.
Brush the solution on the vines and avoid the tree, as much as possible.

Don't have to dilute as much, works better, but takes more effort.
They also make a rope wick, made of pvc pipe with an angle at the bottom and a rope that is gravity fed to keep it wet. You just go along wiping the chemical on. Use which ever chemical you want to, just avoid the leaf area of the trees. Round up, RM43n, and many others can be used.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
salt vinegar and dish soap- been using this on grass in the sidewalks and drive- works good- I don't think it will bother the tree because it is not going to the roots- just don't spray the tree itself- pound rock salt in gallon of water then a gallon of cheap vinegar 4 oz or so of dish soap. I got some vinegar at Ollies for like $3 a gallon but who knows if they still have any. Make sure you let the rock salt desolve.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Never heard of this paint brush or wicking rope/pvc pipe handle! I assume they work!
Some guys hire out rye wicking and wick acres and acres. The rye grows about a foot taller than wheat and the wicker cord
listing_pic_999616_1431436189.jpeg.jpg
sits just above the tops of the wheat and wipes onto the taller rye plants. That's how former Oklahoma representative John Inns from Drummond became paralyzed from the waist down. Turned one over on top if him one spring.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They also make a rope wick, made of pvc pipe with an angle at the bottom and a rope that is gravity fed to keep it wet. You just go along wiping the chemical on. Use which ever chemical you want to, just avoid the leaf area of the trees. Round up, RM43n, and many others can be used.
I was cleaning out some of my dad’s stuff last week, and one of the things I found was plans for making a rope wick boom that he got from the McClain county extension office.

Latest posts

Top Bottom