Springfield "Trapdoor"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this since it deals with a military gun but it was a black powder cartridge and there was no category for antique or C&R stuff so if it needs to be moved please do so.

I've got a very nice 1873 Springfield carbine (was cut down probably in the late 1800's or early 1900's and was done very well). This carbine is beautiful, in my opinion, and I want to learn as much about it as possible. I've had the serial number searched and I know a bit about it from that but it has an unusual stamp/cartouche in the stock that is just too small to show up in a picture and some online experts were really curious to find out what it is, as am I.

I was hoping someone might know of a "trapdoor" expert in OKC where I could take it and get it looked at in person. I doubt it increases any value but the curiosity is killing me and I have researched this until my eyes hurt and have found nothing on this stamp/cartouche. If anyone knows of an expert here in OKC if you could let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, I am no expert, however I had a standard '73 which I sold 20 some years ago. I have a book of cartouches but it goes back to only 1900. One thing, years ago was that two different gunsmiths said I probably should not shoot it anymore because the barrel might crack and the only ammo I found in those days was Remington 405 grain Gov't. Per the serial number the one I had was made in 1877.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had mine looked at before I ever shot it just to be on the safe side. I can say it shot extremely well, the accuracy was quite surprising. The guy that checked it out for me said the bore was in very good condition and had strong rifling left which is why it shot so well. I love the gun, which is why I want to learn as much as possible about its individual history.

If there are any collector/experts on here in the OKC area I'd really like to get your opinion.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've talked to them, they couldn't help without detailed pics buts its too small and hard to see for pics that's by I need someone local to see it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're still seeking answers in November and are coming to Wanenmacher, my buddy from NM is pretty knowledgeable about trapdoors. He may be able to help; otherwise, there will definitely be trapdoor experts at the show.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a name I think, i'll have to look again, the experts said they had never heard of that name and without a pic they couldn't go any further. One of them contacted me personally and was very interested in figuring it out but the marking just doesn't show up in a picture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom