Squirrel season is coming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have always had ticks bad in SE Okla. Some people swear by Avon Skin So Soft to repel them. I never tried it myself or even know if Avon ladies are still around but they sold that stuff by the gallons down here.
Also you kinda learn to try not to brush up against to many limb ends and tops of brush and weeds as that seems to be where ticks like to congregate waiting for an unsuspecting passer by.

July and august seem to be the worst and anywhere around dogs or cattle, I don't mind the bigger ones too bad as you can see them but I have had to give myself a clorox in the bathwater treatment before to get rid of hundreds of seed ticks. Those things are the worst.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have always had ticks bad in SE Okla. Some people swear by Avon Skin So Soft to repel them. I never tried it myself or even know if Avon ladies are still around but they sold that stuff by the gallons down here.
Also you kinda learn to try not to brush up against to many limb ends and tops of brush and weeds as that seems to be where ticks like to congregate waiting for an unsuspecting passer by.
With my careful preparation (and no doubt the rain) I came home with exactly zero ticks on me. Last time I was walking around for 2 hours and had several dozen.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been wearing rubber boots and tucking my pants legs in them and spraying with deet I haven’t had a single tick since I started doing it as far as tick size I can’t remember the last time I seen a big tick just hundreds of seed ticks when I was a kid I never seen seed ticks not sure what’s up with that

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always used sulfur powder dusted around shoes/boots & pant legs to repel chiggers & ticks. Put some in an old sock and just pat the coverage area with it.
:drunk2:

When I was a kid, the folks had a place on Lake Texoma. Mom would always do the sulphur 'trick' before I went exploring. Never had any issues with ticks or chiggers. Make sure you put some on your socks, also.

Good luck!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was up a couple weeks ago shed and morel hunting, my dog and I both got loaded up with ticks. The biting nats and mosquitoes were out in full force too especially along the river (which encompasses a lot of my place).:censored:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was up a couple weeks ago shed and morel hunting, my dog and I both got loaded up with ticks. The biting nats and mosquitoes were out in full force too especially along the river (which encompasses a lot of my place).:censored:
I went out to look around last weekend. Even with 40% deet the flying critters didn’t seem to care. I had to wear a neck gaiter over my ears just so I could hear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom