Stabby and Pokey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That's a cool link. Our Zoo prof at OU studied scorpions and about how they pick up chemical messages with receptors underneath their body. Upon visiting his lab he was pretty much fearless when picking one up. I got to "hold" one of those Emperor guys, those guys are pretty darn tame, still scared me a bit when he took off up my forearm.

You should post some pics on what they do in blacklight. :D

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWXVm3Vgoxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWXVm3Vgoxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Thanks Kyle. That was awesome. I always imagined them stinking like a whip, but he just kinda stuck the cricket all nonchalant. Interesting.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a cool link. Our Zoo prof at OU studied scorpions and about how they pick up chemical messages with receptors underneath their body. Upon visiting his lab he was pretty much fearless when picking one up. I got to "hold" one of those Emperor guys, those guys are pretty darn tame, still scared me a bit when he took off up my forearm.

You should post some pics on what they do in blacklight. :D
I was going to buy some Emperors, but I wanted some with a little more pep. I also think the desert hairys look cooler, more like how a scorpion is supposed to look.

My bro has a blacklight that I'm gonna go get so I can snap some pics. I've read that blacklights are kinda stressful on them so you shouldn't put them under one for very long.

Are the two you have deadly to humans? I know the small ones around here just feel like a bee sting and you normally just go about your business.
No they're not deadly, but they're supposed to hurt like hell. The place I got it from said the sting feels like an electric shock.

Thanks Kyle. That was awesome. I always imagined them stinking like a whip, but he just kinda stuck the cricket all nonchalant. Interesting.
They both strike like that, but most the time they don't strike at all. Just grab it and start eating.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was working near Memorial up by Edmond, and I got stung by one of those suckers. I started flailing around throwing a fit, people were driving by thinking I was insane. It hurt like hell for about 45 seconds, but in 30 minutes I couldn't even tell where I had been stung. Now I look out for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom