Starting a Preppers Library

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As promised. In no particular order ...

General Preparedness Books:
1. Dare to Prepare, 4th Edition, by Holly Drennan Deyo
2. What to do When the Sh*t Hits the Fan by Dave Black
3. Just in Case: How to be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens by Kathy Harrison

Gardening, Small Animal Husbandry and Foraging/Wilderness Skills and a whole lot more:
4. Country Wisdom and Know-How: Everything You Need to Know to Live Off the Land
5. Garden Wisdom and Know-How: Everything You Need to Know to Plant, Grow and Harvest
6. Survival Wisdom and Know-How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
All from the Editors of Stackpole Books

Canning (Especially good for beginners or those short on cash. All of these recipes can be done with a water bath canner.)
7. Better Homes and Gardens Can It! Fresh Flavors and Techniques for Home Canning

Foraging/Wild Gardening
8. The Forager's Harvest: Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer
9. Nature's Garden: Edible Wild Plants by Samuel Thayer

Gardening
10. The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient-Dense Food by Steve Soloman with Erica Reinheimer
11. Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

I also have a TON (ask GC, that is no exageration) of books on specific subjects that interest me such as canning, old methods of meat preservation, dehydrating, animal husbandry (specifically chickens, rabbits, goats, quail, beekkeeping), and gardening (specifically intensive gardening techniques, greenhouse gardening, and aqua/hydroponics), first aid and herbal medicine (I just started off on this little learning adventure so you will have to bear with me if I don't know the answer right off the top of my head. We can look together.).

Nevermind that YouTube is an absolute treasure trove of information ... There literally is no end to the amount of research/studying you can do on your own and never spend a dime. That just frees up more money for your preps.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. I don't know it all, but I'm glad to help when I can. Believe it or not, some of the most helpful information I've come across is when I'm trying to help someone else figure out the answer to a question that I didn't even know I had ...

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the other day that Red Dawn carries lots of good magazines. Though I have lots of books, I've gotten some very good info from magazine articles. Some of the good magazines at Red Dawn are, "Mary Jane Farms", "Grit", "The Urban Farm", "Mother Earth News", "The Herb Companion", and more that I can't think of right now. I NEVER leave there without more!

Thanks for the list of books, BadgeBunny. There's a couple I'll look up on Amazon; especially those by Holly Deyo and Samuel Thayer.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two of the most important books in my library are The Survival Medicine Handbook by Dr Bones and Nurse Amy of Bloom and Doom. The second is Herbal First Aid and Health Care by Dr Kyle Christensen of Western Botanicals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom