State Amendment Help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in need of some Oklahoma Constitutional Amendment help. I'm not at my desk and trying to drive and use my cell phone is useless. So, why not use OSA as a database?

How many signatures are needed on a petition....an "Initiative Petition" to force a public vote, or to make the State Legislative body consider a subject?

I'm D@mn tired of Oklahoma Representatibes telling me ..."its in the state constitution", trying to blow me off with emotional difficulties on the process of amending.

Again...jsut an answer on initiative petition,how many signatures and maybe even the correct way to present it to the Legislature.

Thanks!
Cohiba

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You file it with the SOS and it's based on a percentage of the last general election:

"The number of signatures that must be collected is tied to the total votes cast for the office receiving the most votes in the state's most recent general election. Amendments, statutes, and veto referendums must receive signatures equaling 15%, 8%, and 5% of this vote, respectively. Previously rejected initiatives or referendums require 25% of this vote. Signatures are presumed valid unless challenged"

For 2010 it would have been: 219,400 for an Amendment, 117,013 for a Statute and 73,134 for a Veto Referendum.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I am applying this question toward the Task Force on the Sale of Wine and Beer in Grocery Stores.

State Senator Clark Jolley heads this up, and I stating a pure guess that most of those members are not for this idea. I hqve talked to a few Representatives and been met with positive views. There were a few who kept trying to "bamboozle" me with talk that it would be hard to change this "since its in the state constitution". Haven't they ever heard of amemdments?

Yes, I have knowledge of the three ways to amend the state constitution. The third being an initiative petition. The reason for my question.

Thanks
Cohiba

** On a side note; How did the angry face get placed next to the title of my thread?***

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you'd find a lot of support in signing a petition such as that. Especially with the growing wine industry in Oklahoma.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to see Oklahoma grocer stores be able to sell wine and strong beer(like in the liquor stores). I know the opposition(liquor store) aren't in favor of it. One of my questions is "Why do they (liquor stores) have the monopoly on strong alcohol...beer and wine...NOT spirits.

The opposition likes to phrase that the liquor store will lose business. Well let the liquor stores be able to sell speciality food(hams,cheeses, olives) and tobacco(cigars!!!). They do it in Texas...and dang sure do it at the main Specs in downtown Houston...http://www.specsonline.com/

i52.photobucket.com_albums_g1_jfre81_138.jpg
So why not Oklahoma? Juvinile access won't be greater...if they want it they can have a person buy it for them now.

I have heard rumors that major grocery stores( Central Market..1000 times better than Whole Foods, Costco, and others) won't come to Oklahoma because our crazy liquor laws. Then I hear about Oklahoma wineries being limited on sales of their own product?!!
Central Market...love this store...http://www.centralmarket.com/

If Texas(and other states) can have grocery stores with wine and strong beer, along with thriving liquor stores, why can't we?

I just wish our legislatures would let the public vote on it. If it goes down...so be it, I'd just like a governing body with enough backbone to let the public have a chance to make a few decisions.

Cohiba

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom