Stinky gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently traded for a Ruger SP101. I got a really good deal or so I thought. The rubber grip on this gun has the worst kind of Funk you can imagine. It's kind of a cross between an ashtray, body odor, and ass. I've tried everything I can think of to clean it. Windex, Simple Green, upholstery cleaner, bag full of Arm & Hammer baking soda, 91% alcohol, Clorox, put in the washing machine, dishwasher. Each time, the funk remains Victorious. This is some serious funk. Any ideas before I just go and buy an oem grip from Ruger?

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that my funk can overcome this funk. When I first got this revolver I left it in my truck with the windows rolled up on a sunny day. You guessed it it took a long time to air out my pickup truck to get rid of the funk

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this doesn't fix the issue, I know of nothing that will.....

IMG_1971.JPG

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you taken off the grips to see if there's something inside the grip handle where the mainspring is located? I know a guy that put some catfish blood bait in that gap on a pistol that he had to surrender to the ex-wife........ It was a genius bastard move!

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
One of the Taurus 85's I bought to refurb had that issue!! that was the absolute nastiest gun I have ever seen and I am pretty sure the previous owner did not have any clue what a bar of soap was either. revolver cleaned up nicely , I added some wood grips and my daughter loves the thing!!
20200711_165112.jpg
That is the offending set of grips right before I realized how bad they smelled. I would not think rubber would hold smell like that.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a set of rubber tie down straps with the little S hooks from wallyworld. I couldn't stand being around the things. Handling them was atrocious and I washed my hands with LAVA, Go Jo with pumice and bleach to get the funk off. I had to throw them away because wallyworld wouldn't take them back insisting I did something to them.

It's the Chinese rubber in the product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom