Store prepped brass primed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about this more, I suppose that if stored primed, there's not exactly much difference if it's stored with the powder and bullet in place. I mean, would that make a difference to the "freshness" of the primer? One could make a case there's less oxygen getting to the primer itself, but then again, the primers are getting plenty of oxygen in their OEM trays to begin with.

I suppose end of the day this is just a personal preference thing.
If I were concerned about this issue, I'd think it would be wise to use a vacuum sealer like is used to preserve food for long term storage. It gets no more climate controlled than that.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were concerned about this issue, I'd think it would be wise to use a vacuum sealer like is used to preserve food for long term storage. It gets no more climate controlled than that.
I do have that available....I just don't know that I have the fortitude to vacuum seal the quantities of brass involved here.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have that available....I just don't know that I have the fortitude to vacuum seal the quantities of brass involved here.
I process and seal 300lb deboned elk and deer, so it wouldn't be hard to do some brass. It comes in 20 foot rolls. Seal one end, fill and vacuum to seal the other.
The bags are tough enough to withstand the sharp edges and there would be zero moisture.
Punch a hole in the unsealed edge, label the bag, and hang on a pegboard just like they do brass at the box stores.
Organized, and ready for use.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what other people think. Let's say you finish prepping a bunch of brass. Give it the full treatment --- trim/Cham/Deb/wet tumble. Whatever your process is to make it ready to go. BUT...let's say you're not going to load it right then.

Do you prime it and store it, or do you wait to prime until you're ready to take it all the way to a finished product?
I prime and store them quite often. 500 to 1000 at a time. I have bought lots of brass primed also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom