Storm door repair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever repair a storm door? Our back door faces south and the wife keeps having the wind rip it out of her hand on windy days. It has broken the 2 bottom hinge things and I am worried the top 2 are not long for this world. It does not have real hinges but has 4 spots in the door frame and door with channels that a pin goes thru. Problem is they are aluminum and wallow out. I can not decide if I should try and take the door and that side of the frame off and work a rod of some kind up as a hinge pin, or try putting a long hinge between the door and frame.

Any ideas or suggestions?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can use small hinges installed where the regular door is at.

I have a couple storm doors in the back yard they are full framed glass no opening.
May be the correct size.

Take some 550 cord and screw it to the door and the wood frame between that storm door and the regular door.
Short enough to catch and stop the storm door from opening all the way.

That is what I use and a spring from an old window.
That 550 cord will stop it and not allow it to tweak the hinges.
They also make a spring loaded chain stopper.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever repair a storm door? Our back door faces south and the wife keeps having the wind rip it out of her hand on windy days. It has broken the 2 bottom hinge things and I am worried the top 2 are not long for this world. It does not have real hinges but has 4 spots in the door frame and door with channels that a pin goes thru. Problem is they are aluminum and wallow out. I can not decide if I should try and take the door and that side of the frame off and work a rod of some kind up as a hinge pin, or try putting a long hinge between the door and frame.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Can you post a photo of it? I'm having trouble picturing what broke.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife took some pics for me.

door 1.jpg
door 3.jpg
door 4.jpg
door 5.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slide that lower silver scratched up rod (Hinge Pin) back up the channel to complete the hinge.
Take a hammer and punch and dink / swage the area below the pin so it will not fall all the way down again.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slide that lower silver scratched up rod (Hinge Pin) back up the channel to complete the hinge.
Take a hammer and punch and dink / swage the area below the pin so it will not fall all the way down again.
That is not a pin but a scratched up area on the door.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@RickN

Looks like a Larson brand door.

Open the door and look between the two middle hinges and look for a sticker (warrantee reg# do not remove).

If there take a pic of that tag and number.

Find a dealer and ask to see a parts schematic!

There should be a bronze washer / bushing on the top and bottem of each hinge.

image.jpg

I always thought that the hinge pin was a full length for all 4 hinges, but cant say for sure without a parts schematic!

Who knows maybe the company has a hinge warentee!

Here is a pic of the chain and spring system to help with a catching wind!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom