Sub-$500 Carry Gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beretta PX4 (full size or subcompact) or Nano
Smith and Wesson 442/642

I have owned and carried or currently carry the above guns and all are in your price range.

Also consider the Ruger LC9, S&W M&P/Shield, G26/19, and XD. I'm not sure on the price of these but they would certainly be close.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't always trust reviews either. Most people will say, just for example, "My Taurus is the best, and I paid way less than you did for your Glock/XD." Usually someone protecting their pride and ego.

And YouTube reviews are hard to trust too... If they give a bad review, they might not get any more product.

There is a lot of validity to this. I am fortunate enough to own a pistol from just about every major manufacturer except HK. My personal favorite are my M&Ps, but they are no more or less reliable than a Glock or XD. I have had problems with my XD(M) but it was related to a defective striker spring. I don't attribute that to a poor firearms design. I have put 11,000 rounds through my M&P this year and am still on the original extractor.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's awesome how everyone just reads the head line and not the post. You said he is a CZ fan, right? I will assume that he either owns a CZ or is somewhat familiar with them. This past Sunday, I was at the academy on NW expressway and purchased a Tristar C-100 (also known as canik 55). It Is very well made, comparitevly light, holds 15 rounds, and easily recoiling. Also look at versa thunder nine. My father has was and its also very well made and fine quality. I can also vouch for beretta px4 storm. Great gun. Steyr m9a-1, caracal F, and s&w M&P. Most of all don't worry about name brands, get what feels right.every one of the pistols mentioned in this thread are great, reliable pistols.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many good choices!

A good used Glock 19 (preferred), 26 or 23 come to mind. A Ruger LCP, LCR or LC9 (preferred). A used small or medium frame S&W or Ruger revolver. A new S&W small frame revolver. A smaller S&W M&P. A smaller Springfield XD.

On the semi-auto front, I lean more to the compacts vs the subcompacts ('baby") size. The compacts are still concealable, but a good bit easier to shoot than "baby" size for most folk. The baby size has something to be said for itself as a 2nd gun.

So many choices!

Latest posts

Top Bottom