Supposed Misconduct with a Firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

armbarer101

I live on the outskirts of guthrie my house is at the bottom of a hill. Me and my roomates have been firing our rifles since october, we havent had any problems till end of january when a resident at the trailer park claimed his rv was shot and almost hit by another round police came out got our info etc. they came back and told us the man said it must have been a branch. We kept shooting over a period of time cops came out every time few said we had a good back stop others said no. Last friday me and two of my roomates were locked up for misuce of firearm and had a 5000 dollar bail each. monday we find our court date. We fire in a slight downward angle towards the rv park(witch is quarter mile away, uphill and has a signifigant amount of trees between us) we see our bullets hit dirt.
It would be nice to have someone come out who could give some what of a professional stand point on this that we could use in court if necissary. apparently hunters education and common sence dosn't deem me fit to make this decison. if you can help out it would be nice 4054711721

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all it takes is a ricochet to bounce over there. just cause you saw dirt fly doesn't mean the bullet stopped there.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm, You write that on Monday you get your court date.. if I remember right, when your court date is set your attorney may enter a not guilty plea at that time... whether he does or not... you wouldn't be able to show any evidence to support your case.

I can't give you legal advice, but I can give you sensible advice.... with a $5,000 bail, your probably looking at a felony charge or a serious Misd.. You sure don't want to try and defend yourselves. An attorny will get any experts lined-up if needed. More than likely, he would delay & put the trial off for as long as possible in order to give witnesses a chance to get cloudy memories, die of natural causes or move away... and then try and plea the charge down to a lesser offense.

The State / County will probably want to fine the heck out of you. The County would rather have your fine money coming in, than be out the cost of your incarceration / room & board. For now if you don't have a attorney, you have the right to remain silent.. that is good advice to heed.. let your attorney do the talking for you.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ane remember that what you say on a forum or facebook or any published outlet can be used against you in court.
Emails can too if they get their hands on them.
Good luck.

P.S. don't even admit to owning guns or ammo.

Bhop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not saying that david is wrong, but I thought there was houses beyond the berms at happy hollow, if thats true and these guys had sufficient backstop, why would hh be allowed to have ppl there to shoot and these guys arent allowed? granted probably should have gotten the officers names that gave u tthe ok and maybe asked after the first incident who was capable of making a offical decision. just my 20 pennies

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It it were me, I would have found a new shooting spot after the second visit by the Police....definitely after the first time I was told that there wasn't a sufficient backstop. Giving the Police an excuse to visit you multiple times for any reason is not wise.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It it were me, I would have found a new shooting spot after the second visit by the Police....definitely after the first time I was told that there wasn't a sufficient backstop. Giving the Police an excuse to visit you multiple times for any reason is not wise.

Exactly. I suggest you hire a good attorney as soon as possible. Oh and make sure you don't post anymore more pertinent info or details related to your case on a public forum. Good luck!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outskirts of Guthrie: as in outside city limits or inside?

The first time you were told by an officer that you didn't have sufficient backstop you probably should have stopped shooting there and sought clarification from the city/county. And yes, hunter's safety class doesn't qualify one to set up and operate a shooting range, at least in the eyes of a municipality. Plenty of idiots have gone through HS. Not calling you an idiot though....Get some legal counsel and keep your cool. You'll get through it. Seems to me the city/county would have a record of past police response so you might gain access to the associated reports.

Happy Hollow is not a good comparison...as a commericial enterprise the activity and safety measures have been reviewed and approved ahead of time. There's a wrecking yard down the road from me, but it doesn't mean I can just start stacking up wrecked cars in my yard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom