Suppressor for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You see where this is going... but, I am thinking about a suppressor for HD purposes.
My apologies if this has been brought up before.
I searched for previous threads and didn't see one. I probably missed or didn't search enough. If there is an ongoing thread about this, i'd be happy to move the question there.

So, Is it a good idea or not?

I am wondering about the risks associated with this.

Have there been cases where the victim suffers a legal penalty (I'm stating it vaguely on purpose) for having used a suppressed HD gun?

I get that the can would be confiscated along with the gun which would suck.
Is it possible to tell if a bullet was fired suppressed?

is there anything else you can think of to add to this conversation?

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good shoot is a good shoot regardless of equipment used, as long as it is legally possessed. If it isn't explicitly prohibited then it is allowed.

Can only gets confiscated temporarily if they know about it. Who is going to tell them?

Unsure if the ability to differentiate between a suppressed and unsuppressed bullet exists but assume that if it makes slight contact with baffles it would leave markings similar to rifling in the barrel. It will definitely cause increased blowback which will leave increased powder residue and fouling on the rounds remaining in the magazine but the uninitiated won't know to look for that or what that means.

Stop threat, call 911 and give basic info (home invasion, BG down, homeowner description and you are armed), *remove can to locked safe, call attorney, wait for police and kyfms until attorney shows up.

*optional step

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only caveats to supperessors for HD use are added length potentially being a factor in a takeaway, and any reliability issues they may induce.

I think they're best left for use on a HD SBR, but that's just like, my opinion man...

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only caveats to supperessors for HD use are added length potentially being a factor in a takeaway, and any reliability issues they may induce.

I think they're best left for use on a HD SBR, but that's just like, my opinion man...

Good call on the reliability angle. Need to make sure they run like a top before you put whatever system in use.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not going to give out legal advice. seek an attorney for that.

As long as we are talking about an actual home defense weapon, which is one that doesnt go in a holster, then a suppressor is a plus. the added length can be an issue working around obstacles. the solution is a short barrel rifle. If an adversary wants to grab the suppressor, the easy solution is to pull back while pulling the trigger. Congrats bad guy, you just helped me shoot you center mass. Go ahead, give it a try with a broom handle; hold it like a rifle and have someone grab the end and you will see what i mean.
Shooting any gun indoors is loud. In rifle calibers it is not only loud, but the concussion will ding you. Sometimes bad enough to degrade your vision and cognition. A can will take that concussion down to a manageable level, but will not make it substantially quieter to your ear when indoors.

For handguns, the problem is what to do with the weapon if you have to go hands on as well as the possibility of induced malfunctions by an adversary. retention of the weapon in a hands on situation is extremely important. I cannot emphasize that enough. with a suppressed hand gun, I do not like having that much weapon being exposed while I am trying to fight off a brutus with one hand and the pistol in my other hand.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously good advice here. Thank you

I was thinking it would go on a handgun, a G29 or G20. Probably a G29 since it's a bit shorter.

UMB, you would not put a threaded barrel on a EDC ? In my head, it thought i'd put the can on once I'm done carrying i.e., when I lay down in bed.

I need serious H2H practice so that I can at least hold my own one handed to protect the pistol.

Then again the wife would be using a shotgun, probably not my pistol.

Is a ruger mini 14 short enough?

Last edited:

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen and fired an outstanding setup for home defense (IMO) - an AR Pistol chambered in 300 Blackout with suppressor. It was handy, quiet and, the ballistics would suggest, a pretty effective weapon. It is also a significant investment financially if that's an issue for you.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assume that every aspect of a self/home defense shooting is going to be scrutinized by a jury. Personally, I don't want to give any jury the impression that I'm a gun nut that was eager for a gun fight. I'd also not like to explain why I was using a suppressor. Most prosecutors would be delighted to turn the situation around and make me the bad guy. No thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom