Suppressor for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only caveats to supperessors for HD use are added length potentially being a factor in a takeaway, and any reliability issues they may induce.

I think they're best left for use on a HD SBR, but that's just like, my opinion man...

There's also the effect that suppression, especially subsonic loading, has on effectiveness. Pistol rounds that rely on velocity to make their point suffer the worst while those that are subsonic to begin with generally benefit the least from suppression. Exceptions to every rule of course, but that's how it works out "most of the time".

Suppressing a rifle round in an SBR still leaves a reasonable amount of capability, so I'm with you on that part.

I have seen and fired an outstanding setup for home defense (IMO) - an AR Pistol chambered in 300 Blackout with suppressor. It was handy, quiet and, the ballistics would suggest, a pretty effective weapon. It is also a significant investment financially if that's an issue for you.

If that's the one I think you're talking about, it became an SBR - was only a pistol while waiting for the Form 1 to be processed. I do still have the pistol lower just in case I want to cross state lines or some such with it though. It does end up about double the cost of the basic weapon; financially the suppressor and tax stamp could easily have bought an additional AR. However, that's true when talking about many/most quality suppressors larger than .22 caliber.

For reference, the can is a Liberty Chaotic and I'm more than pleased with its performance. The whole thing tips the scale right at 7 pounds unloaded.

memweb.newsguy.com__sanford_images_BLKSBR.jpg

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen and fired an outstanding setup for home defense (IMO) - an AR Pistol chambered in 300 Blackout with suppressor. It was handy, quiet and, the ballistics would suggest, a pretty effective weapon. It is also a significant investment financially if that's an issue for you.

This is where I'm headed in the near future, only as an SBR with a PDW stock, 8.25" .300BLK barrel and 4.7" Silencerco Omega9K suppressor. Short, relatively quiet and more punch than a handgun? Yes Please! :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This is where I'm headed in the near future, only as an SBR with a PDW stock, 8.25" .300BLK barrel and 4.7" Silencerco Omega9K suppressor. Short, relatively quiet and more punch than a handgun? Yes Please! :)

The Omega9K is what I'm looking at for my .300 too. What brought you to considering it?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assume that every aspect of a self/home defense shooting is going to be scrutinized by a jury. Personally, I don't want to give any jury the impression that I'm a gun nut that was eager for a gun fight. I'd also not like to explain why I was using a suppressor. Most prosecutors would be delighted to turn the situation around and make me the bad guy. No thanks.

Meh, a good shoot is a good shoot. Inside my home I'm not worried about any BS from any prosecutor. Out on the street ok I get your argument but Castle Law is pretty clear.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Omega9K is what I'm looking at for my .300 too. What brought you to considering it?

Overall length and weight. The Hybrid is light too, but considerably longer. I want the lightest, shortest overall package that my wife can shoot comfortably. I don't think the 10dB suppression loss vs. the Hybrid would matter much in a defensive shooting.

I'll probably give up a couple of inches by using the LWRC UCIW stock over the Troy or BAD PDW setups, because I prefer the traditional setup and I think it's lighter.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 300BLK has 110 Barnes TAC-TX in the mag for HD. I'm not sure I trust a sub sonic round for HD. With a 9" barrel and a AAC 762 SD it is about the same overall length as a 16 carbine. Sub a SDN 6 and take 1"+ off that. I don't know of a 9mm suppressor that will take supers.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 300BLK has 110 Barnes TAC-TX in the mag for HD. I'm not sure I trust a sub sonic round for HD. With a 9" barrel and a AAC 762 SD it is about the same overall length as a 16 carbine. Sub a SDN 6 and take 1"+ off that. I don't know of a 9mm suppressor that will take supers.

The aforementioned Omega 9K at 4.7" OAL (direct thread) is specifically designed and rated for .300BLK supers out of an 8" barrel, even in full auto! :D

I agree with your assessment of running supers over subs for HD and the Barnes bullet offerings are a top choice.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected! I thought it was Octane based and had not seen the specs. My next project is leaning towards a MPX SBR. I was leaning toward an octane but need to look closer at the Omega.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected! I thought it was Octane based and had not seen the specs. My next project is leaning towards a MPX SBR. I was leaning toward an octane but need to look closer at the Omega.

I came close to popping for a std. Omega. Glad I waited because now a 9K AND a Hybrid are on the short list! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom