Suppressor for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I came close to popping for a std. Omega. Glad I waited because now a 9K AND a Hybrid are on the short list! :D

9k is my next.

Got this of GB last week for my G43 and G19:
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160203_e7cd99e864b35727b36e6846ef58562d.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9k is my next.

Got this of GB last week for my G43 and G19:
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160203_e7cd99e864b35727b36e6846ef58562d.jpg

NICE! You should definitely do a range report for us!

I would have thought that somebody would have produced a subsonic 300BO round for home defense.

Lehigh Defense has, but you're not going to get the benefit a temporary cavity over 1700fps provides, which is why HV ammo in the rifle velocity range is so much more effective than bullets at pistol velocities.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...nic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding suppressed supersonic vs subsonic ... suggest if you can to try both indoors somewhere before settling on one or the other. Don't take anyone else's word for it because a lot of whether or not the residual noise level is acceptable is pretty subjective. Since I've already lost most of my hearing in one ear I'm pretty particular.

As far as reliability goes - the 8" CMMG barrel cycled .220gr subsonics reliably without any special hoops using a standard gas block, BCG, carbine buffer, and SV muzzle brake before I put the suppressor on. With the additional backpressure generated by the suppressor I don't really feel that I'm sacrificing any reliability. On a side note - Remington UMC 220gr that were subsonic without the suppressor seem to be borderline with it installed as noted from the occasional sonic crack.

For PD loads ... both Hornady and Lehigh Defense make subsonic hunting rounds ... from what I've seen/read the Lehigh works better, but they're anything but cheap. I'm thinking about trying to work up a load using some of the powder/polymer coated lead boolits that are available from various sources if I ever get the powder and time.

Do you waste precious time putting them on and turning them on before or after you access your firearm? Do they come in a phone friendly version? :)

Same reason I skipped red dots and such on mine - may not have time to turn one on. Primary "sight" if you will is a green laser in the front grip next to the light.

And that's about all I know about anything ... back on the sidelines to read what y'all come up with. :)

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you waste precious time putting them on and turning them on before or after you access your firearm? Do they come in a phone friendly version? :)

You raise a couple of valid drawbacks but they are still a good poor boy solution. Using a phone is something I had not thought about but I just tried it and it does work albeit a bit awkward. Not more than 2 seconds to put them on and turn them on. Plus do not forget the bionic ear effect. Have to admit the suppressor would be more fun.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously good advice here. Thank you

I was thinking it would go on a handgun, a G29 or G20. Probably a G29 since it's a bit shorter.

UMB, you would not put a threaded barrel on a EDC ? In my head, it thought i'd put the can on once I'm done carrying i.e., when I lay down in bed.

I need serious H2H practice so that I can at least hold my own one handed to protect the pistol.

Then again the wife would be using a shotgun, probably not my pistol.

Is a ruger mini 14 short enough?

You 10mm guys...
Sure I would use a threaded barrel in an EDC gun. My only contention with a suppressor for a hand gun in this situation is it has a high potential of being a significant lever working against my one hand if I am having to use the other hand to do other things. In a rifle, this isnt an issue since I will have two hands on it and can drop it with sling retention if I need to. I will admit this is just my opinion based on my frame of reference. If I was going to use one, I would select it based on its length and would prefer a shorter, louder model like Gabriel posted.

As to the .300 BO being discussed. I think it would make a fine HD weapon in a short barrel (8in) format with a suppressor. Keep in mind that if you slow down the projectile to sub sonic velocities then you actually increase the chance of penetration through house type intermediate barriers. Much like a pistol round, and the ought buck or slug projectiles, they tend to stay intact and not dissipate their energy quickly. A high velocity rifle round in 5.56 or .223 which uses fragmentation as its wounding mode is far better inside a house in that respect. For example mk262, or a similarly loaded Sierra TMK. These rounds will provide you enough penetration on a soft target versus some whiz bang frangible.

I will just say it, even though it will make some you guys cross. I do not like the mini 14 as a defensive weapon. I could go on and on about that, but it isnt the point. A quality AR SBR with a suppressor will serve you better than most choices, provided the shooter spends the time to train. The idea; not yours just generally, that a shotgun is good for the untrained to use in HD is a bad idea.

EDIT:
As to active hearing pro, nice to have but forget about it. The last time I had to pull a firearm on another person I was waken from a dead sleep by the sound of glass being broken. between the time I recognized the sound, recognized the need to act and had a pistol drawn on the individual was between 5 and 10 seconds. You will not have time in that situation to do anything but orient yourself to the threat and decide to act. This wasnt some distant past event, it was less than a month ago.
Red dots are great for HD weapons since the distance to target will almost always be short enough to PID without magnification. The solution to having to turn one on, is to turn it on and leave it on. Get a quality red dot. I never turn mine off unless it is to change the battery once per year, even though I know it will last 3 or 4 times longer.

Last edited:

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would anybody ever suppress a 10mm, isn't the whole function of a 10mm that its a auto magnum round?, do they make a subsonic round for 10mm? I'm sure you could handload such a round but wouldn't 45acp be a better candidate(a little more surface area to make up for the lack of velocity). I'm gonna really show my ignorance now. Would putting a can on a tilting barrel pistol possibly cause malfunctions(you know leverage and all) maybe if someone is holding or touching it? Wouldn't a fixed barrel weapon be more the weapon of choice. I could see using this weapon for HD but I think when the need arises you'll probably grab whatever is closest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom