Suppressor for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy fix. Buy an Aimpoint PRO on February 29th. Turn it on and leave it on. The next February 29th (4 years later) replace the battery and drive on. Aimpoint PRO has a 5.7 year battery life (50,000 hours). If that is not enough battery life, go to an Aimpoint Comp M4 which will go 100,000 hours.

It's a thought ... maybe when I recover from the tax bill this year I'll look around a bit. :)

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just want to review some concepts.

a 9mm with muzzle velocity of 1150fps would be supersonic (Speer gold dot LE 124 gn Hp's)? therefore that round would not necessarily be much better (in terms of noise) suppressed than a weak but yet supersonic 10mm. I realize a short barrel than used during speer testing will render slower fps for the 9mm. So, if I stick with 10mm, the goal would be to use subsonic defense ammo, like vooduchikn pointed out.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that a suppressor often, if not always, increases MV by one to three percent - not much unless you're starting out right at the edge of going supersonic. That's what seems to happen that pushes some of the UMC subsonic loads into supersonic territory.

Good point!

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My home defense pistol is a G21 suppressed with trijicon RMR cowitnessed with irons, Kriss extended mag.

What no one he's mentioned yet is the absence of muzzle flash when suppressed, which could be the deciding factor in a low light gun battle.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At distances of less than 10 yards, there is often no supersonic crack. I have tried this myself with shooting supers suppressed into the berm at the range. Whatever you do do NOT shoot hot supersonic 10mm ammo through a pistol suppressor. You can blow it up and bulge the tube.

Balance is great with the extended mag

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1qrzlfdfdngssj/2016-02-04%2021.03.40.jpg?dl=0

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At distances of less than 10 yards, there is often no supersonic crack. I have tried this myself with shooting supers suppressed into the berm at the range. Whatever you do do NOT shoot hot supersonic 10mm ammo through a pistol suppressor. You can blow it up and bulge the tube.

Balance is great with the extended mag

Thanks for your input. If the crack were to happen, wouldn't it happen as soon as the bullet left the barrel? Maybe I'm not interpreting your comment about the 10 yards correctly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom