surface rights law questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This came up to me early summer and I told them no to the seismic survey. The broker told me that he would contact the mineral rights owner(s) and if they gave permission, they would do the survey anyway. They only offered $200, we own 20 acres, but I told them a flat no. He said "...these things sometimes end up in court" and I said I was comfortable with that possibility. If push came to shove, I would have allowed it. They did a few surrounding properties and left. I like the other advice to get everything in writing by someone that has authority to do make the agreements.

Andrew

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought our place six years ago with the mineral rights. Wouldn't have bought without it. This is only 13 acres in Wagoner county though.

That being said grandma has the mineral rights to 640 acres near Burns Flat that the family hasn't owned since the 1950's. I'm hoping we start cashing in on this soon. :)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought our place six years ago with the mineral rights. Wouldn't have bought without it. This is only 13 acres in Wagoner county though.

That being said grandma has the mineral rights to 640 acres near Burns Flat that the family hasn't owned since the 1950's. I'm hoping we start cashing in on this soon. :)

Hard to believe you haven't been leased, you are in a great location. Smack in the middle of the Anadarko Basin, lots of wells in the Granite Wash and I worked that area for several years.

ETA: I was referring to your grandma's 640 in Washita county.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You might want to get someone close to look at grandmas section. It's hard for me to believe there is a virgin section close to the Flats. Someone else may be gettin paid

If you're brave enough to post the legal, I bet one of us can tell you

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to get someone close to look at grandmas section. It's hard for me to believe there is a virgin section close to the Flats. Someone else may be gettin paid

If you're brave enough to post the legal, I bet one of us can tell you

My mom, her daughter, works for XTO. I can tell you no one is getting paid right now. Grandma recently remarried this year to an 'oil man' and they are exploring the possibility. She has been approached to sell and lease several times over the past decade but refused to do so. Now, the timing and comfort level might be better.

Thank you for the offer to help though. That's why I enjoy this forum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom