Taneycomo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my family (a bunch of them) are going to Branson from the 20th (Sunday) to the 24th (Thursday).

I am thinking about heading up there a couple of days early (next Friday) and camping and trying to catch some fish on Taneycomo before the crowd rolls in. We'll be staying at Big Cedar but me, my wife and two boys would camp somewhere Friday and Saturday night.

I am wondering if you guys can help me out with a few questions?

1. Thoughts on a good camping spot. We will be in a tent, have all the gear and know what we are doing. We'll be spending a ton of cash later in the trip so cheap and secluded is good!

2. Where to fish? My wife and boys like to fish and I'd like to show them a good time... myself too while I'm at it. I've scoped out the maps and have an understanding of where the dam is and a basic understanding of the stretch of river/lake that goes up towards Branson but have no idea where to setup. We'll be fishing from the shore. I have a canoe I can take but not sure that helps. All four of us won't be getting in there together anyway!

3. Rod/reels. You guys gave me some good tips on getting a fly rod a while back (thanks) but I haven't dropped the cash to do that yet. There is a slight chance I might before the trip but probably not.

-I have a light weight 6'6" spinning rod. At the moment I think it has 6 lb Trilene XL clear. It can go down to 4 lbs (based on what is written on the rod/reel) so I was thinking about swapping the clear with green 4 lb line. Trilene XL because that's what I like. Or I was also thinking about Berkley Vanish?

-My wife has the small Zebco Delta combo. The reel came with 6 lb line, I loaded it with 6 lb Trilene XL green when I got it for her. The rod is rated for 6-12 lb line medium-light action. I figure she is ok.

-My boys both have Zebco 33 reels (cool red ones with flames!) The reels came with 10 lb line, I loaded them with 10 lb Trilene XL green when I set them up. They are on Berkley Lightning rods rated 8-14 lbs / medium action. Do you think I need to grab smaller rod/reels and smaller line for them or are they good?

I am open to anything but don't really know what I am doing up there.

I'd be grateful for any advice you can throw my way.

Thanks

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you got the money, get a guided trip. They will put you on fish plus you will learn the where and what about Taney. Water is really clear right now and some of the stuff Ive read says use 4 and 2lb test. http://forums.ozarkanglers.com/forum/4-upper-lake-taneycomo/. Check out this link

Thanks for the links.

I was up late last night reading about it, that's what got me concerned about the wife/kids setups. But I also found a bunch of guys saying they use 6lb line so wasn't sure what to think. I was mostly worried about the boys 10lb line.

However, I just got back from Backwoods (OKC) and talked to Tom for a bit. He said the wife/kids setups are good to go. Told me to put some rooster tails or anything like that on'em and they'll be all set.

Somehow, I walked out with a new fly rod so I'll be having fun with that! He said to just go by the dam and work up from there and we'll catch fish.

I'll have a couple of days to scout it all out before the other people start showing up. Hoping to get it nailed down so I can take my brother and nephews where they can get into'em a little bit at some point during the trip.

Just need to get my tackle squared away and we'll be all set. (I think!?!)

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
drive to lilley's landing. Phil liley owns the place and he or his crew can help you get set up. He will suggest to add a leader to get to smaller line. He sells trout drift rigs for ???? each they are made out of various weight line ..... a weight is on one end to get the bait on the bottom a loop is tied a few inches up for connection ot the rod's line. then the tailing piece of the rig is about 30 inches long to which a small hook attached. on the hook, they will suggest night crawlers, minnows, or power baits. you throw this out and tight line it

public access is at dam, cooper creek, by the landing / old campground.

talk to the people at lilley's and ask if you can fish from his dock i know that he has let many people do so. the guys on the dock will also give hints.

lileys is a trout dock, fish gear shop, and cabins.
if you like you can buy stuff at walmart to reprodcuce the rigs. phil's prices for baits are about the same to slightly higher than walmart. Phil has a fantastic selection of flies and jigs.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
camping you can camp on taneycomo at the old city park just up river form the landin just gravel parking lot,. or go to cooper creek they are not cheap fees used to be about $20 to 25 per night but they also have a dock that you fish from they will also sell drift rigs. they are about 1/2 mile on river from liley's

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd Lilleys Landing. We used to stay there also.
I always used a Light or Ultralight rig.
6 or 8 # line, whatever was already on it.
Slide a 1\4 to 1\2 oz egg sinker onto the line, depending on how strong the current is at the time.
Then tie on a barrel swivel, then 3' of 4# clear trout line with the hook.
Cover the hook with two Berkley Power Eggs with the barb sticking out. White, Pink, or Chartreuse. Or a combo of these colors.Just cast it out and let the current drag it a little and the bait will bounce around behind the sinker. You might have to cast way out to find the sweet spot.
You need the egg sinkers so that the line slips through so you can see the pole bend when they take the bait.
I've caught my limit many times there.
Slow fishing when the water was still every time I went. After dark was always the best.
Good luck man. Let us know how it was. I've been wanting to go back sometime.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You wouldn't have to chenge out all of your line on your reels, you could add a piece of the smaller diameter line to it as long as its the same type. Adding fluorocarbon to mono or mono to fluoro won't work for long because the fluoro will eventually cut thru mono. A tippet ring would solve the problem with two different types. Riverrun outfitters is within eyesite of the road you turn down going towards the dam so they can hook you up with flies, licenses, trout stamp and many other things. Mainly a fly fishing place. They open at 8 am. Try rapala coundown crainkbaits in gold and black, silver and black, rainbow and brook trout patterns, those have worked for my spinning rod buddies. I fly fish and use mainly scuds and midges there. The potential to catch a huge fish is good there. Looking forward to a report.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check this link for water release schedules, http://swpa.gov/generationschedules.aspx. click on the day you're going to fish and look below number12, Tablerock dam. They usually follow it but be aware. Even when they release it can be wadable but only at certain levels. When they blow the horn for generation get out. It isnt like Oklahoma where they give you a warning. The water is coming when you hear the horn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom