Taurus Revolvers.....do they suck? or GTG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: The Taurus Ultra-Lite has been repaired and is headed this way via FedEx overnight delivery. So when it gets here, I will put rounds down range and we will see if the empties are still sticking in the cylinder. You will see it here, on OSA - the vaunted life time warranty work of Taurus. I am as curious to see as yall are!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 85 UL did that when I first got it, about halfway thtough the second cyl.
Took to shop I bought it from in Duncan, shot five rounds in back ..just fine....115gr
I had been shooting some old 158gr that I had around.
I started shooting 115 gr and worked my way up, would act up after about 3-4 cyl.
By accident I found the ejector rod/cylinder screw? was backing out just a bit, letting the cyl rub against the back plate.
A dab of locktite..works fine now , however I dont shoot the 158gr anymore , hurts my hands. ;)

I have a 856 ( ss 6 shot snubby), Ive had some work done on the triggers .pretty snappy now and easy enough my Wife can pull the trigger
I had a SS 1911 and a pt140,,never gave me any problems, but then things just seem to work well in my hands, LOL, until they started hurting...8/

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we'll sure see tomorrow. My Alaskan doesn't give me any of the problems. Let's see if the Taurus gun smith was up to the job. If the handgun functions as well as my Alaskan - which it should, I will say so. If not - I will send it back again.

Edit: I really like this UL. It's pretty. I've always thought it was, and have always wanted one. Maybe Taurus got it fixed.

i.imgur.com_LxyuPnj.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

i.imgur.com_L78M4MX.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put 12 through the tube; all my hand could take. No binding, empties extracted smoothly. Wife shot video of it. Will try to download stills and post them. Taurus also sent a list of problems the gunsmith corrected on the UL, and I will post a pic of that, too.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FedEx brought the package right up to the house free of charge, and the repair occurred about right on time, too.

i.imgur.com_PJnlDYM.jpg

i.imgur.com_M505sjH.jpg

This is a list of the problems that the Taurus gunsmith in Miami found, and corrected. This is a brand new handgun, remember.

i.imgur.com_bk4VLq7.jpg

OK, here is my impression of my experience with the Taurus life time warranty; it is good. And it's a good thing they have it - because they need it.

Now, I'm saving the best pics for last - those of me shooting it. You will have to go to my "Handguns" thread to see that. Here in a little bit...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the update 311, it seems that the larger bore Taurus' are hit and miss from people I've talked to. S&W does have that new 5 shot .44 out but I still don't like the lock. Just being patient and seeing what pops up used.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update 311, it seems that the larger bore Taurus' are hit and miss from people I've talked to. S&W does have that new 5 shot .44 out but I still don't like the lock. Just being patient and seeing what pops up used.

You can't go wrong by saving up and getting a Ruger Alaskan. The Alaskan is 2x heavier than the UL, but they fit in the same holster and the recoil will not bruise the palm of your hand. If you already own a Taurus, or if anyone else reading this post owns one and it is giving you problems, send it in for the free warranty work.

moller72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had my Taurus revolver for 11 years never a problem with it I have the 8 shot .357 mag can't remember the model number now but several thousand rounds through it and never one problem.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious as to what people's experiences are...... not looking for "I dun read on tha internetz that Taurus sucks!" Just looking for good or bad real world experiences with their .357 and .44s.

I own 2 Taurus Revolvers.

44 Mag Raging Bull and a 22LR/22Mag 992.

Both ran OKAY - for a while and then failed. In the 44 a spring failed in the forward cylinder lock and the star and the rod attached to it got damaged (firing handloads at 1250 FPS).

The 992 had the 22 Mag cylinder rod bend - cylinder was hosed and empty casings wouldn't eject - known problem with that model - probably shouldn't have bought one but I did - I'm betting the rod got bent when trying to eject a set of casings stuck in there pretty hard.

Got the 44 repaired by a local gunsmith who repaired the cylinder rod and replaced the star. Rebuilt the forward cylinder lock and put in a custom built spring with some more oomph. I'm happy with it now and would put it up against any S&W 44Mag for trigger, accuracy and reliability - key word now.

STill haven't gotten the 22Mag cylinder repaired though a buddy wants to give it a shot - he's a pretty good amateur gunsmith. Othere than that the 992 shoots 22LR like a champ.

THAT SAID: I won't ever buy another Taurus anything. I could have just bought S&W - spent a little more up front but saved a lot in the long run. I own two S&W revolvers, a 686 .357 and a 638. Both have seen some hard use. Neither has ever failed and both shoot great - especially the 686 - man that sucker is accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom