tax on purchase when shipped from out of state?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has been eating on me and I just have to ask. I purchased a gun thru Gunbroker and made arrangement to have it shipped to a local FFL. He told me it would be $40.00 and that is perfectly fine. He's done it for me before, but I don't know him well. Anyway, when the gun came in, he then charged me sales tax on it. Never had anyone do that before. The gun came from Illinois. The gun was fairly expensive, so the tax was nearly $100. + the 40.00. He had the gun and I'd already paid for it, so............... Anyway, do/have any of you had this issue?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of it happening that way. Took my wife down to pick up something the other day and no tax collected.

Who was saying tax needed to be picked up the FFL or the seller? Unless the FFL purchased it and then sold it here no tax should be incurred unless they have a physical location in both states (think walmart, best buy, academy and online sales.) But that tax would have been paid at the purchase.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the local FFL was not involved in anything, other than to take possession, do the yellow sheet, and call it in. He is strictly local. I figure he just ripped me for $100.

It was the local FFL calling for the sales tax. The dealer in Illinois was out of it by this time.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, that all depends on 'who' the gun came from. If it came from an individual, you should not have been charged tax. If it came from a retailer who has a store within the state of Oklahoma (i.e. Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc.) then, yes, they are supposed to collect sales tax. I honestly don't know how that would be handled, though, if it went through an individual FFL and not through the chain store.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some states are starting to charge taxes on Internet sales. Oklahoma has a "use tax" that if I understand it correctly, you are supposed to declare any purchases over the Internet and pay taxes on it.

Another way to suck money out of your wallet.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some states are starting to charge taxes on Internet sales. Oklahoma has a "use tax" that if I understand it correctly, you are supposed to declare any purchases over the Internet and pay taxes on it.

Another way to suck money out of your wallet.
That is paid at the end of the year when you file taxes and is based off of your earned income. I think mine the last time I filed was like twenty bucks.

Like I said I was in OKC literally a week ago to do the same thing with something purchased from Texas. Would like to know who the FFL in question was so they can be avoided.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Name the dealer. He just ripped your @$$ off.

Internet purchase-based sales tax is paid by the individual and claimed on Oklahoma state tax return. It is not collected by a retailer in this situation. Seriously dude... that guy just bent you over for another $100, and he laughed at you as you left.

I'd welcome proof of guidelines from the state that point out otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom