Tell me how to catch crappie in March

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love fishing crappie in Jan and Feb. They are typically around 30' deep in dense cover around submerged trees. Unlike conventional thinking, I use braid with a fluorocarbon tippet about a foot long with a single jig using a 2 1/2" tail in the tree tops. You don't catch many dinks that way and if you get hung up, the braid will let you jerk the jig out of the tree top by straightening out the hook and braid is tons more sensitive when fishing at that depth. Too much stretch in mono to feel the subtle bites where they just inhale it and sit there. Electronics are key to finding the trees and or structure that is holding the crappie.
Recently installed the Panoptics live scope electronics on the boat. The first day out, literally watched a 1.5 lb crappie inhale the jig live and was caught. Haven't had much time with it on the water yet, but the YouTube video's about how they work are pretty impressive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom