That's it, this means WAR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a few nights ago, my German Shepherd was freaking out. It wasn't the "ooh! the cat!" bark but the "I'm pissed off and if you come over here I'll eat you!" bark. The thing that concerned me was that the little dog (stupid terrier that I'm quite attached to) wasn't barking as well. I stepped outside with the spotlight and shined it out to the north across the neighbors pasture and saw the cause of all the ruckus. Coyote. The sucker didn't run off, it just ducked down and stayed there.
Seeing as the little terrier had gotten out, I was pretty worried and thought I'd go investigate. I can't sling a rifle round out to the north so I grabbed a shotgun and headed outside. I've never been a turkey hunter so all I had was some 7 1/2 shot and the only choke tube I owned (at the time) was a modified. Thus armed, I plodded out into the pasture.
The coyote (which I assumed would be shy) watched me coming and let me get within 50 yards before scampering off to the east. At the same time, my stupid terrier materializes from somewhere and runs up behind me. The coyote stops about 100 yards away and sits there staring as I put the little dog back in the yard. After telling my wife what all the commotion was about, I got curious and stepped back outside and shined the spotlight around again. Sure enough, the coyote was back in the same spot that I'd originally chased him away from. Brazen little sucker. Knowing full well I couldn't reach him, I sent some quail shot his way. He decided to leave.
Now it's personal. A couple of chickens every now and then I can overlook, but do NOT stalk my little dog. The "invisible" electric fence has been repaired so the little guy won't be getting out again and I've procured a "coyote" choke along with some #4 buckshot. What I lack is knowledge of tactics. Are there any experienced coyote hunters out there that can give me any tips on how to lure them into range without using my terrier as bait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use a stray cat or maybe a stuffed animal that your dog sleeps with.
Maybe just some dog food. heck he may be a nice coyote and make a good pet, maybe he just needed a hug. :)

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here you go

image.jpg

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try a stuffed Roadrunner.

lol. I expected something along these lines as the first response. I've always wondered if coyotes actually went after road runners. I know they'll decimate a turkey population so I'm guessing they'll eat anything they can catch. I've seen a few roadrunners around this year, but not a single turkey.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol. I expected something along these lines as the first response. I've always wondered if coyotes actually went after road runners. I know they'll decimate a turkey population so I'm guessing they'll eat anything they can catch. I've seen a few roadrunners around this year, but not a single turkey.

Coyotes are just about the only predators around with the speed and desire to catch roadrunners.

Dog food will attract them, and you can get one of those cheap little predator calls to bring them in as well.

Since you're using a shotgun you'll need a good place to hide and probably some good camo, otherwise he'll spot you and he won't come close enough for a clean shot.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might try some HeviShot Dead Coyote shells for the scatter gun. With their screw in choke tube and 3 1/2 shells, I've killed 'yote's out to 60yrds and it hit 'em like a ton of bricks.

That choke is made for them by Carlson's. I ordered the "coyote" choke from the Carlson's site. It constricts the bore to .665 and from what I've read (not experienced firsthand yet) this is a little tight for a good pattern from non lead shot. I'm thinking I'll stick to plain old lead for now to save a few bucks. I was hoping to get 50-60 yards out of a 3" shell. Think it's doable?

Latest posts

Top Bottom