The Barn Find 1955 Bel Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the head on the driver side has the markings of an 882 head.
Which was ran from 1971-1976 on 350-400" engines and have 76cc chambers but I have measured them and found some were larger.

Not much compression from a 327" if that is a 327" and flat top piston engine.

You can take a straw or zip tie and insert it into the spark plug hole and turn the engine by hand and find the point where the piston bottoms out.

Straw no longer goes down. make a mark on the straw and one on the head or valve cover next to the straw mark.
Then turn the engine and the straw will come up with the piston.
When it is at it tallest height make a mark on the straw next to the mark on the head.

Measure the distance between the 2 marks on the straw.
3.48" or so will be a 350" stroke which is the same as a 305 chevy.
3.25" is the 327" stroke.
Been busy working on other parts of the car but getting ready to take a look at the engine stuff I have on hand. I’m not even close to being a small block Chevy guy so I’m learning, reading, etc. on them. I still have to pull the valve covers off the (alleged) 327 and check the casting numbers but I’ve read that the 882 heads are boat anchors. We’ll see what they are. Should be able to take a closer look this weekend.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been busy working on other parts of the car but getting ready to take a look at the engine stuff I have on hand. I’m not even close to being a small block Chevy guy so I’m learning, reading, etc. on them. I still have to pull the valve covers off the (alleged) 327 and check the casting numbers but I’ve read that the 882 heads are boat anchors. We’ll see what they are. Should be able to take a closer look this weekend.

All 1.94-1.50 valved sbc iron old school heads will flow close to the same.
Chamber sizes make more difference than anything when leaving the heads in stock as cast form.

I have used Heads many tossed in the garbage and called them boat anchors.
Guess what.

They got me down the road and back and when I ported them and milled them they were as good as many aftermarket heads and better than some aftermarket heads.

I like running stuff people call junk.

I hated the Chevy small block for many years because my Oldsmobile and Buick engines would clean their clocks.

In 1992 or so I was given a Nova and 455 olds was the plan for power.
My uncle gave me a 1969 300HP 350 chevy engine.
I had been researching the chevy engine and bought books on them about 2 years earlier because I had a feeling I was next in line for the Nova.

I built that 350" and I was amazed in the power and the little cash it took to make it.

I got rid of all my other engines and now love the SBC.
Learned many things over the years and now go pretty quick with them.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roads? Where we’re going we don’t need roads.
IMG_8470.jpeg

Current status is all the front suspension is removed. The next step is to knock the grease and surface rust off the frame and engine bay then paint it. Here’s some progress photos from the past couple nights.

Attachments

• IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8460.jpeg
    IMG_8460.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have the skillz, money, patience, or energy to do this job but I wish I lived next door to you and could just come over and watch you work on it for 30 minutes every day. It looks like fun!
:pms2:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roads? Where we’re going we don’t need roads. View attachment 487507

Current status is all the front suspension is removed. The next step is to knock the grease and surface rust off the frame and engine bay then paint it. Here’s some progress photos from the past couple nights.

Ospho is your friend on rust and repaint. Read up on it.

IMG_0057.jpeg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting! I wasn’t familiar with the product but sounds like it’s cheaper and easier than the route I was planning. Thanks for the info!
I can attest it's good stuff for paint prep.

What are you planning on using for paint? I'd go bedliner or rustoleum hammered myself for the frame bits.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can attest it's good stuff for paint prep.

What are you planning on using for paint? I'd go bedliner or rustoleum hammered myself for the frame bits.
I’ve looked at a few things but have been leaning toward this stuff from Sweet Patina. Here’s a video that shows the end result.

Attachments

• IMG_8473.jpeg
    IMG_8473.jpeg
    820.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom