The Birds Are Coming!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyprepgirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
THE BIRDS ARE COMING!

Well, at least I hope they are! I love bird watching and I have a few feeders in our yard. I try to keep them full, but it seems that I attract not only birds, but squirrels and racoons, cats, stray dogs...red foxes..the occassional possum, you get the picture. Although I like to feed birds and enjoy the drama that unfolds, my husband is a more practical kind of person and of course is looking to see “can we can eat these things?...we ARE feeding them”! While I hope I never have to, figuring out how to attract different species is pretty interesting. I have a really cool book; it's from the Editors of Storey Books and it's called "Country Wisdom & Know-How--Everything you need to know to live off the Land.

Leafing through it, I came across Gourd Nesting Boxes and since fall is creeping in, I think I may try to make one and share the process with you! If you are anything like me---you have not grown any kind of Gourd-resembling vegetation yourself, so visit your local farmers market, craft or Grocery store and get a good sized one. The bigger the gourd, the bigger the bird, the bigger the drama!! Pick one with more body and less stem--makes for a bigger nesting area. Check the depth from the inside bottom of the gourd to the entrance opening. Birds need at least 5 1/2 inches of space for proper nesting.

Cut a hole to the dimension required by the desired species. Use a key hole saw or expansion bit to do this. Okay What is a key hole saw? It turns out, its just like the saw that comes in a pumpkin carving kit, but it has a chisel tip thing. Google it-I did!

Now, it gets real, people. You have to get the gunk out. Meaning, through that hole you just made; remove the insides. This sounds simple, but remember, GOURDS ARE DRY!! You can start out with a green gourd, do the same thing, but you have to dry it, which takes 3 to 4 weeks....I'm not that patient, I like most in my generation, want instant gratification!! So use a somewhat flexible knife with serrated edges to remove the internals.

Now, bore a small hole at the top (in one side, out the other) to attach a string or a wire to hang your gourd.

Lastly, you need a rain shield over the entry hole...gotta keep the birdies dry and happy!

Get an aluminum pop can and cut out a half moon shape and use silicone caulking or glue to affix thereto!

Lastly, when hanging the gourd, I like to face the entry East. This helps to protect from the prevailing winds here in Oklahoma.

You can place a feeder about 20 feet to lure your feathered friends. Lets hope the cats don't find them first!!

Love & Survival,

diyprepgirl

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember making bird homes from Gourds.
Never made a rain shield though.

I was thinking of your method of silicone to attach it.

Now how about cut the 1/2 moon but at the attach point of the Rain shield you could leave 2 or 3 protruding aluminum tabs that you could poke a hole in the gourd and poke this aluminum through the hole and reach inside and fold the aluminum tabs over to secure it.

Did that make any sense?
No glue or silicone.

OH all my bird houses are full of wasps, if you like wasps that is good.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had a family of Mississippi Kites in the field behind our house for a couple of months now. Them critters can FLY!

Coz

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been cleaning out the garage, found 2 sets of cowboy boots that will never get worn. I need to make birdhouses out of them before next spring.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Folgers Plastic Coffey cans . Cut the hole with 1 & 1/8 hole saw drill 4 holes in the grasping area. use copper wire to tie it to a post.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents raises several kinds of gourds and have made several bird nest out of them but they mostly just give the gourds away to who ever wants them so far mostly school teachers and day care workers are the ones coming to get them for kids crafts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom