The "Gimme Generation" - Warning! Rant ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So EMERGENCY care is available in the emergency room. That's the answer I was looking for.

Dude.... You don't get it. It has nothing to do with citizenship. If you don't have insurance, you will still get treated in the ER. You will still get a bill, but the difference is you have to pay up front at the office. You don't have to cough up cash or an insurance card in the ER. You can have the best insurance on the planet, and if you don't have an emergent condition, you will be treated and referred. It is, after all, an EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. It has nothing to do with your ability to pay.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude.... You don't get it. It has nothing to do with citizenship. If you don't have insurance, you will still get treated in the ER. You will still get a bill, but the difference is you have to pay up front at the office. You don't have to cough up cash or an insurance card in the ER. You can have the best insurance on the planet, and if you don't have an emergent condition, you will be treated and referred. It is, after all, an EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. It has nothing to do with your ability to pay.
SOME people imagine that the uninsured (and broke) get the the same level of health care that the insured get. I am not saying that you are among those people.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Triage doesn't even want to see or hear about insurance.Admissions goes around to the rooms and gets that info.The people who work the system know which hospitals to go to.

I dunno if that is always the case. Three weeks ago the little lady speaking though the window at St Francis to my wife and I asked about it, because the info they had for her was about 23 years out of date when they pulled her social. We had to give her current last name, phone, address, emergency contact info, and I remember giving her the name of our current insurer as well (didn't get the card or group/member numbers, but I know for certain she asked the name of the provider since the old insurer of record was wrong). Now we weren't there for a trauma, but it was emergent as the OB/GYN instructed my wife to go.

The admissions woman did come around later to obtain the photocopy the card, my employment info other personal info about me (since I am the principal insured and presumably guarantor of payment being my wife stays at home).

Again, I am not asserting what is St Francis or other hospital policy, but I know for a fact what occurred during my recent trip there.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno if that is always the case. Three weeks ago the little lady speaking though the window at St Francis to my wife and I asked about it, because the info they had for her was about 23 years out of date when they pulled her social. We had to give her current last name, phone, address, emergency contact info, and I remember giving her the name of our current insurer as well (didn't get the card or group/member numbers, but I know for certain she asked the name of the provider since the old insurer of record was wrong). Now we weren't there for a trauma, but it was emergent as the OB/GYN instructed my wife to go.

The admissions woman did come around later to obtain the photocopy the card, my employment info other personal info about me (since I am the principal insured and presumably guarantor of payment being my wife stays at home).

Again, I am not asserting what is St Francis or other hospital policy, but I know for a fact what occurred during my recent trip there.

*Straying so far off the reservation from The Gimme Generation*....you have to give demographic info if at all possible (i.e. not bleeding out) in order to generate a chart. If you offer info regarding insurance they'll take it, but they should not ask for it until you've been evaluated by the ED doc.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
*Straying so far off the reservation from The Gimme Generation*....you have to give demographic info if at all possible (i.e. not bleeding out) in order to generate a chart. If you offer info regarding insurance they'll take it, but they should not ask for it until you've been evaluated by the ED doc.

Three years, 5 days a week, 2 hours per night.I've never seen a triage nurse or paramedic ask for insurance info.In fact if offered up the response is "we don't need that now, admissions will come to your room for that info."

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what my son is doing. He's in his third year (I think) of the IBEWs apprenticeship program.
Good Choice.....Lots of good jobs out there for sparkys.
Im pretty sure they offer the continuing education ...Learn all you can get.
. on a differant subject why is it always the "illegals" theres plenty out there that just cant make it.!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Choice.....Lots of good jobs out there for sparkys.
Im pretty sure they offer the continuing education ...Learn all you can get.
. on a differant subject why is it always the "illegals" theres plenty out there that just cant make it.!

Because there is a certain amount of inherent nativism in whom we decide to criticize. We just like to put in nicer terms.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back to the gimme generation. I'm in that age bracket and I catch crap all the time from my friends about how nice I have it because I have nice things. They don't understand that I'm AD USAF and work a second job. 1 day a week to myself. Yes, I have nice things, but I pay for it with my time and money. A lot of my peers don't seem to understand this concept.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The generation of which you guys speak is called the millennial generation or 'Generation Y'. But as my wife and I like to say when referring to kids, "They learned that somewhere".

There's actually a book about it, called "Not Everyone Gets a Trophy: How to Manage Generation Y"

Now, there are always the group of no-good, free loaders that come with every generation. However, I suspect much of the misplaced animosity is towards that group, and not the next generation of people in general.
But a small sample size should represent the population, though, right? That's bad statistics at work, folks.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Because there is a certain amount of inherent nativism in whom we decide to criticize. We just like to put in nicer terms.

We get a lot of undocumented people but also a lot thet some might think were but are well documented, i.e. "look" like illegals,which is nonsense,and don't speak English.

BTW, back to the topic, I've seen way more US born people fitting the "gimme generation" mold than so called illegals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom