The Lack of "Community" on OSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been too broke lately to buy and the stuff I have now is all stuff I really don't want to sell, so I can't comment too much on the classifieds. As to the moderation, is it all consistency or is some of it personality? If you're being held to a different standard than others, that's a moderation issue. Not liking the mods opinions, isn't. Also, the more controversial your opinion, the more you're going to have people trying to pick it apart. JMO, YMMV

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No need to defend yourself, it is a point of view thing. People like you make this forum uncomfortable for people like me.

tlb - what about shootin4fun, or probably his expressed opinion, makes you uncomfortable? His opinion doesn't bear any threat to anyone. I fully understand disagreeing with him but why uncomfortable?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some. And a lot of new members have joined. And as I said, the classifieds have changed now from how it used to be. It's still a great forum, and there's a lot of good people. I just want us to get back to that bedrock Okie value of helping each other out, doing business fairly and paying it forward more, like it used to be. Asking too much?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have a deal through the classifieds that went sour?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll speak up about the classifieds. I rarely sell or buy anything on the classifieds. Three times since 2008 if I remember right.
I got burned twice. Don't even remember the persons name at this point. Both times with well established members. I said I would ship the product on a Monday for example if they would send the money on the same day thinking I could trust them to do so.
Watching my tracking number, It was delivered. One said it was to a rent house he owned, and it must have been stolen from the porch so he would not send me the money no matter I showed him it was delivered. He has left the forum shortly after.
Second time was very similar. He also left the forum shortly after.
Third time I told the person I would ship when I had his cash in hand, and he blew up in pm's saying I didn't trust him as a long time member along with some explicit profanity. He is still on the forums. I don't deal in the classifieds anymore for those three negative reasons.
The classifieds do not signify a community IMHO. Its a convenience for the community to enjoy and use.
The community comes from the interaction of the members with each other and their willingness to interact with each other through the forums and discussion.
I've said it in another thread last week that before coming to OSA, I was a radical homophobic, racist, by god my way or the highway person, but through the discussions my opinions and responses have mellowed greatly. That's community involvement IMHO.
I'll still debate you to the death if I think my position is justified, but not with the vigor of past days.
Here is one important point. Other than one time, and I apologized for doing it. I've never given a personal attack to someone for their opinion. I called a guy a liar. He was lying, but it should not have been done. One can handle it differently and more correctly. I'll disagree, and put up reasons why.
As Mugsy said awhile back, some of the big dogs that used to beat down the new pups got their ass handed back to them, and they didn't like it. Fair play.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they can have opinions, but when they constantly make comments that are offensive about women and other minority groups, it makes people not want to post.
I can see your point, but its a matter of what does each person consider to be offensive? Some are thin skinned, some see the criticism or comments and try to educate the person abut why that might be offensive in a teaching sort of way, not as a full blown mad on. People learn in different ways. Some can learn by getting it beat into them, and some learn by a well worded response addressing their concerns.

The latter gains them respect around the community as a level headed person of knowledge.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
tlb - what about shootin4fun, or probably his expressed opinion, makes you uncomfortable? His opinion doesn't bear any threat to anyone. I fully understand disagreeing with him but why uncomfortable?
shootin4fun thinks its fine to make disparaging remarks about women, in general, and other groups such as his constant need to insult short people. he behavior causes people to have a negative opinion of the forum. shootin4fun, as a mod, is a representative of the forum, unlike regular members.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see your point, but its a matter of what does each person consider to be offensive? Some are thin skinned, some see the criticism or comments and try to educate the person abut why that might be offensive in a teaching sort of way, not as a full blown mad on. People learn in different ways. Some can learn by getting it beat into them, and some learn by a well worded response addressing their concerns.

The latter gains them respect around the community as a level headed person of knowledge.
With him as a mod, it means he should not have to learn how adults behave in public. I would think that he should know better as a business owner. I drove past his store last week, and needed a few thing, I did not stop because I would not give him any of my money.
I will debate a regular member, but I will not debate a mod. I have been banned from this forum before for that very thing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With him as a mod, it means he should not have to learn how adults behave in public. I would think that he should know better as a business owner. I drove past his store last week, and needed a few thing, I did not stop because I would not give him any of my money.
I will debate a regular member, but I will not debate a mod. I have been banned from this forum before for that very thing.
If you were within the forum rules, a ban should not have happened.
Can you relate the post/reason why the ban was put on? Do it by PM if you don't want it on the forum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom