The magnetic field is weakening faster than they thought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, except folks often use cherry picked aspects of science to promote their own dogma or opinion.

No kidding. Another cool thing about science is that it's open for all to measure and test.

Is it weakening faster than before, or are we just not getting a handle on exactly how fast it changes?

From the article, which I'm sure you read: "While changes in magnetic field strength are part of this normal flipping cycle, data from Swarm have shown the field is starting to weaken faster than in the past."

Like climate change, it appears to be a completely normal event in the life of our planet so....

Right, it's perfectly normal for CO2 levels to spike from roughly 260ppm to nearly 400ppm in the span of just 100 years...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding. Another cool thing about science is that it's open for all to measure and test.

From the article, which I'm sure you read: "While changes in magnetic field strength are part of this normal flipping cycle, data from Swarm have shown the field is starting to weaken faster than in the past."

From the same article: "Previously, researchers estimated the field was weakening about 5 percent per century, but the new data revealed the field is actually weakening at 5 percent per decade, or 10 times faster than thought."

See what I mean about cherry picking?

The entire thing is estimated. New data has changed those estimations....so we don't actually know that the field is "weakening faster than before" do we?

It appears to be weakening faster than we thought it was. That is vastly different than saying the earth's field is weakening faster than in the past. If you can't make that distinction, then there's really no point in discussing it.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Right, it's perfectly normal for CO2 levels to spike from roughly 260ppm to nearly 400ppm in the span of just 100 years...

It absolutely is normal, nothing weird about it, other than the speed of the weakening, compared to previous flips. That said, they are basis that off of ice samples, a science that is also improving over time.

As for the CO2 spikes, who is to say it is not normal? It has been well documented that methane emission (which are part of those greenhouse gasses) from cattle farming produce more pollutants than industry. Literally, shizz happens.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the same article: "Previously, researchers estimated the field was weakening about 5 percent per century, but the new data revealed the field is actually weakening at 5 percent per decade, or 10 times faster than thought."

See what I mean about cherry picking?

The entire thing is estimated. New data has changed those estimations....so we don't actually know that the field is "weakening faster than before" do we?

It appears to be weakening faster than we thought it was. That is vastly different than saying the earth's field is weakening faster than in the past. If you can't make that distinction, then there's really no point in discussing it.

I'm not cherry picking, the article indicates that the weakening has occurred in the last six months. It says the prediction of the flip wasn't for another 2000 years, but this new data indicates that could be sooner. Unfortunately, the article doesn't specify the data. But the line: "data from Swarm have shown the field is starting to weaken faster than in the past" seems to indicate this is a recent trend, as the Swarm refers to the satellites that measure this activity. Yes, it's an estimate, but that does not mean it's a wild guess.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It absolutely is normal, nothing weird about it, other than the speed of the weakening, compared to previous flips. That said, they are basis that off of ice samples, a science that is also improving over time.

As for the CO2 spikes, who is to say it is not normal? It has been well documented that methane emission (which are part of those greenhouse gasses) from cattle farming produce more pollutants than industry. Literally, shizz happens.

Right, aside from the mountain of evidence that indicates it is *not* normal.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the petition for Congress to work with President Obama to fix the issues in Earth's magnetic field.

No, seriously, nothing from the dumb masses surprises me. Nothing.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:disappoin

We are all gonna die ...

And for some of us it's gonna come sooner, rather than later ...

And for those of us for whom it comes later, we are gonna wish at some point in time it came sooner, because getting old ain't for the faint of heart ...

Still ... no matter how bad it gets, I suppose it's better than the alternative ... :(

I'll feel better when my headache eases up a bit ... :P Maybe ... At least I hope so for GC's sake ... :lookaroun

I'll trade you my aches and pains for your headache.

Next week is going to suck. :nono2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom