The "No Steel Ammo" Rule at Indoor Ranges...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe me I've had my Silver Bear Mak ammo turned down numerous time, and then had the guy at the counter offer to sell me the overpriced high dollar stuff so I could still shoot. Its happened to me and I've seen it happen to other people while I'm waiting in line.

aryfrosty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe me I've had my Silver Bear Mak ammo turned down numerous time, and then had the guy at the counter offer to sell me the overpriced high dollar stuff so I could still shoot. Its happened to me and I've seen it happen to other people while I'm waiting in line.

Yep...I have a shooting buddy who belongs to a gun club with an outdoor range. I have an XM-15E2 with a TAC2 discrete carry kit that I am aching to fire. It will have to wait for good weather, (eg: No snow on the ground), to get fired because I won't pay to shoot and then pay more to fire certain guns.
:bolt:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More likely, waiting for the opportunity when the guys don't catch it.

:D Boy ain't that the truth ...

This thread reminds me why I am happier now ... :D:D

I hate to tell you guys this but the richochets do come back with enough speed to actually hurt somebody ... the unspent powder on the range floors will catch fire even though the ranges are cleaned regularly ... and the backstop on the pistol bay does incur damage from steel bullets hitting it ...

Next time you are in there take a real good look at the concrete walls ... and the baffles ... and the trays ... and the tables ... and the floor ... Why I'd be willing to bet there is still that bullet hole in the range counter ...

Guns and bullets may be fun but they are not toys.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you keep taking it then?

Different ranges my friend.

Also a buddy of mine shoots his FN five-seven all the time at the range, and I know for a fact that his bullets (humming at 2200+ ft/s) are causing more damage to the backstop than my Mak would ever do, even with mine having just a bit of steel in them.

Bravo 3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
:D Boy ain't that the truth ...

This thread reminds me why I am happier now ... :D:D

I hate to tell you guys this but the richochets do come back with enough speed to actually hurt somebody ... the unspent powder on the range floors will catch fire even though the ranges are cleaned regularly ... and the backstop on the pistol bay does incur damage from steel bullets hitting it ...

Next time you are in there take a real good look at the concrete walls ... and the baffles ... and the trays ... and the tables ... and the floor ... Why I'd be willing to bet there is still that bullet hole in the range counter ...

Guns and bullets may be fun but they are not toys.

Badge Bunny is right on! She obviously knows what she is talking about,so if you want to shoot the cheap steel go to an outdoor range without the fire hazard.As for the 5.7 I have never seen that in steel so look at it this way steel=hard & sparks,copper=soft. Anytime you are shooting against a steel backstop the range will never allow steel and yes there have been ranges burned down because of this very thing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom