The Ugliest Mosin Ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice rifle. Shorty mosins are fun to shoot and ammo is still really cheap.

I did a similar bubba job. Cut the stock down, did a quick krylon paint job and shortened the barrel down to 18" and mounted a scout scope directly onto the 1/2" rail that is under the rear sight and used the existing roller pin holes to lock the scope rings in place so it won't creep under recoil.

i.imgur.com_nfKmPgO.jpg

The fireballs on this things is nice and it's FRACKING loud. Need to wear double hearing protection if you are shooting indoors (your ears will hurt and ring if you don't) and if you're standing right next this even outdoors.

i.imgur.com_V3NGn8F.jpg

I have lovingly referred to this rifle as the "Hadouken". You Street Fighter II fans will understand :)

Video of it in action.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i'm digging the fireball aestus! ronny and luke, i think you guys are right, its an enfield sight. the stock doesn't 'appear' to have any crossbolt holes filled though.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a stretch, but if you took a Carcano stock and left off the upper handguard???

Ronny, this would have to be my best guess as well. Possibly a Model 1891 that has been reshaped in the magazine well area to accept the Mosin triggerguard. I was assuming at first that the stock was originally made with wood partially covering the magazine like a Berthier, but I think that it has had some work done to give it that appearance.

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For giggles, I broke out a berthier carbine, a m44 and a carcano ts

The franken-mosin is definitely not on a a berthier stock. It lacks the finger groves, no notch in stock by the bolt, no cross bolts and the retaining bands are on the bottom on the stock instead of the sides.

It definitely looks to have been at one point been a carcano stock without the handguard. The barrel retaining bands look similiarly placed, the butt on the stock looks to have the sharp angles. Compared to a longer carcano (in this case a 91/41), the notch for the safety is also similar though the franken-mosin is obviously more rounded from sanding and inletting to get the mosin action to fit.

TS next to 91/41

the
receiver area of a 91/41

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It definitely looks to have been at one point been a carcano stock without the handguard. The barrel retaining bands look similiarly placed, the butt on the stock looks to have the sharp angles. Compared to a longer carcano (in this case a 91/41), the notch for the safety is also similar though the franken-mosin is obviously more rounded from sanding and inletting to get the mosin action to fit.

Agreed...it's 99% likely a Carcano stock. Darren was right all along with his gut feeling that it was Italian.

It looks like the area where the safety notch would have been located has been planed down, only leaving a small area of wood behind the bolt handle recess. The lower magazine well area has also been relieved to expose the trigger and give it the Berthier'ish style potbelly.

I would agree on Carcano 'til I see something better. I'd still like to know what the tang mark is.

+1 on the tang date. I wouldn't mind knowing the species of wood on that stock too. Are there the typical beech scales in the grain? I can't tell if it's just a nice dark stained piece of beech or elm, or if it's walnut. I know little about the Carcano's but I'm thinking very few were issued with walnut furniture.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
top of tang

bottom of tang

got it in some better light. Bubba Smith worked hard on this one! there are three sectional layers of walnut/elm and beech. below the beech there is another layer of walnut/elm(don't know my woods but looks walnut). they've been blocked in length ways and sanded/inletted to fit. its hard to get it in pics do to the overcast outside, inside pics just not working.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom