The Ugliest Mosin Ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bubba Smith worked hard on this one! there are three sectional layers of walnut/elm and beech. below the beech there is another layer of walnut/elm(don't know my woods but looks walnut). they've been blocked in length ways and sanded/inletted to fit.

That stock work is interesting. My brother picked up a Chinese 22LR trainer last year that had some similar work done to it. The stock was not correct for the rifle and the wood very much resembled the wood that has been spliced into the lower magazine well area of your stock. The wood looked walnut'ish, but it was very porous sapwood that had been epoxied to fill all of the knots in the wood and covered with a dark colored finish.

I don't know why they went for the potbelly look unless the smith was going for 'style' points.

I think it was more for function than style points. It looks like the triggerguard would have been half covered by the stock without inletting that area.

Looks like a Vietnam bringback. They and the chinese did strange things.

Clint,

Have you ran across photos any modified Vietnam bring-back Mosins before? I'm not saying that they don't exist...I just haven't seen any. I have seen some pretty cobbled together Chinese and North Vietnamese rifles before, but never an M44. If the stock and front sight work was done by the Vietnamese, I would think that it's safe to say that bubba at least added the recoil pad and sling swivels.

No import markings, right?

Older imports were marked on the barrel behind the front sight. Since the barrel's been chopped it would be impossible to tell if it's an import or not (if no markings on the receiver).

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Luke, it's 9147. Btw, took her out today. She'll make quarter size groups at 50 and I hit a 'dirty bird' target bull on the first shot. I was using a 6 o'clock hold so it would only be in the vacinity on an official target. I couldn't take pics because I had to leave but overall I was very pleased

Latest posts

Top Bottom