The ultimate gun for hunting or backpacking in bear country. The G29 BUSH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
26.83 oz for G29 unloaded.
30 oz for an unloaded G20.
The OP suggested a 15 round mag for the G29, making the ammo weight the same.

So, 3+ oz difference
I'm referring to standard mags, which one would use when trying to save weight/space. The difference is roughly 8 oz., loaded with longer holster.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd feel more comfortable with my ability to do quick followup shots with my G20, vs a 29. And the extra weight isn't deal breaker for me.

Exactly, nothing wrong with the G29 but this package on a G20 would be what I would choose. That frame and slide just eats up recoil.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could just carry fewer rounds if you like. 3.2 oz
In that situation, I'd rather carry a smaller gun that will still get the job done. I carried the G26 and G29 for many years, and trained heavily with both (without pinky extensions). They are both fine with lots of practice. Of course the G20 is a better choice if you can afford the extra space and weight, but there are certainly cases that prohibit it. The G29 is a great option for those occasions.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think some people are taking this gun out of context too. Keep in mind it was originally set up for LE in Alaska, which would make it almost by design a back up to a larger gun if they are out in the woods.

It is also something that would be carried mostly NOT in the woods, so capacity and follow up shots would be a bigger deal than a Bear defense gun for the regular Joe out fishing.

This would have been a great option for my Alaska trip this year. I took a Ruger .357 because I don't own anything bigger in a handgun. The G29 would have been nice for the 75% of the time I wasn't in bear country.

People like to take extremes and make absolutes, and that's the issue here. Is this not ideal for some situations? Sure. Does that mean it's never the gun for the job? Some of you are acting like it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some people are taking this gun out of context too. Keep in mind it was originally set up for LE in Alaska, which would make it almost by design a back up to a larger gun if they are out in the woods.

It is also something that would be carried mostly NOT in the woods, so capacity and follow up shots would be a bigger deal than a Bear defense gun for the regular Joe out fishing.

This would have been a great option for my Alaska trip this year. I took a Ruger .357 because I don't own anything bigger in a handgun. The G29 would have been nice for the 75% of the time I wasn't in bear country.

People like to take extremes and make absolutes, and that's the issue here. Is this not ideal for some situations? Sure. Does that mean it's never the gun for the job? Some of you are acting like it.

Speaking for myself only, I'd rather have too much gun than not enough relative to a few ounces. If I was LE, I'd be all over a G20 in that package just due to capacity and followup shots. YMMV.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've spent a great deal of time, when I was younger, backpacking everywhere from parts of Europe to the Appalachian Trail and I would very much consider the Mossberg 'shockwave' or Remington 'Tac-14' (with slug ammunition) as being a viable defense alternative while in bear country.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Speaking just for myself,but if I need a pistol against a grizzly attack, I'd be more worried about fast follow up shots, then I would be against some thug in a Walmart parking lot

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks Shadow!

Yukon, Thank you. "Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain." Ever been backpacking and woken up on morning 2 or 3, and hid stuff in the woods that you regretted ever bringing in the first place, and refused to continue carrying, thinking, "Man, I really hope no one finds this stuff, but if they do, I'll just buy more.

Hey Tom, the 15rd mag just gives you more options. If you wish to sacrifice rounds for conceal-ability and size/weight, you have that option with the 10rds mags. Additionally, those pinky extensions go a long way towards your ability to control the firearm with the more powerful rounds, and most of the store bought stuff feels pretty comparable to 45ACP

Hey Nikat, thank you.

Hey Chuckie, now you're talking about a 5.5 pound firearm. Might as well just rock an AR pistol in 300BLK. 30rds of semi-auto, self defense or survival hunting in one mag!

OKC, asked and answered my friend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom