The Vetting - Holder 1995: We Must 'Brainwash' People on Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you guys realize the context of this speech was children carrying guns to school? Holder wasn't saying that the 2nd Amendment should be repealed or that guns are evil - he was specifically saying that kids need to be "brainwashed" into not thinking that they should carry guns or bring them to school. Context matters. I'm not a fan of Holder's stance on guns overall, but this video is depicting him doing something we should all agree needs to be done - addressing the overly violent influences of the media and the entertainment industry on kids.

It's not the media and entertainment industry that is at fault. It is lack of adequate parenting. Too many single parent families and boys growing up without fathers. Thank you big government liberals and your welfare policies.

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, welfare definitely caused the Columbine, Virginia Tech, Chardon High, and Red Lake High school shootings. Definitely. Also, I blame Karl Marx just because.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, welfare definitely caused the Columbine, Virginia Tech, Chardon High, and Red Lake High school shootings. Definitely. Also, I blame Karl Marx just because.

So your argument is that school shootings are caused by the music and entertainment media so we should restrict freedom of expression?

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but that's an impressive straw man. You're the one who claimed to know what causes school violence - apparently it's welfare.

I don't claim to know the cause of a problem as infinitely complex as why young people take weapons to school and slaughter their fellow classmates. But what I do know is that popular music, TV, and films all glorify gun violence as an easy way to solve problems. Being a gun rights advocate myself, I think an effort to marginalize or mitigate the glorification of gun violence in schools is a noble and worthwhile effort. The 2nd Amendment isn't helped by incidents like Columbine, and if Holder or anyone else initiates a program or speaks to kids about alternatives to violence in school, I think it's an absolute shame that people can't get behind that because they don't like him or his politics. I am not a fan of Tim Tebow but that doesn't mean I have to hate his charity work because I don't like the guy.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"he was expressing his views"

Yes, that kids should be discouraged from bringing guns to school. It's unfortunate that you seem to dislike Holder so much that you can't see that he's right in this case.

Let's set the record straight here, since you seem to be distorting the facts.

Holder was addressing the Woman's National Democratic Club. In his remarks, broadcast by CSPAN 2, he explained that he intended to use anti-smoking campaigns as his model to "change the hearts and minds of people in Washington, DC" about guns.

"What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that's not cool, that it's not acceptable, it's not hip to carry a gun anymore, in the way in which we changed our attitudes about cigarettes."

First, Holder was addressing the Woman's National Democratic Club. Those are not children. Second, He wanted to use an anti-smoking type campaign to "change the hearts and minds of people in Washington, DC". Not all people in DC are children. Third, his final statement quoted above did not apply to children only, but to ALL people, especially children. He wants to openly attack and quell gun ownership as a public health menace the same way they've done with cigarettes.

Holder has openly and repeatedly expressed his views that gun ownership is not an individual right, something I guarantee you he still believes to this day. His motives and intent are rightly suspect in anything he says about guns. Your blind adherence to liberal attitudes notwithstanding, Holder is incapable of talking about guns without bias, period. Leave the education of kids about the dangers of guns to the professionals such as the Eddie Eagle program. Holder is incapable on the subject. :(

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, Holder was addressing the Woman's National Democratic Club. Those are not children.

I didn't say he was addressing only children in this speech. I said the initiative he's talking about is one aimed at children bringing guns to school.

"What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that's not cool, that it's not acceptable, it's not hip to carry a gun anymore, in the way in which we changed our attitudes about cigarettes." Since you think Holder is meaning that all guns should be outlawed by this speech, I assume you think he also wants a nationwide ban on cigarettes?

If you want to take this speech as Holder saying no one in the US should own guns, then be my guest. Nothing I could possibly say would change your mind so we can just agree to disagree.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...I think an effort to marginalize or mitigate the glorification of gun violence in schools is a noble and worthwhile effort. ...

It is not the proper role of government to do this. Let parents and private groups do it, but government lacks the wisdom and, in addition, there are grave dangers in government doing so.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say he was addressing only children in this speech. I said the initiative he's talking about is one aimed at children bringing guns to school.

"What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that's not cool, that it's not acceptable, it's not hip to carry a gun anymore, in the way in which we changed our attitudes about cigarettes." Since you think Holder is meaning that all guns should be outlawed by this speech, I assume you think he also wants a nationwide ban on cigarettes?

If you want to take this speech as Holder saying no one in the US should own guns, then be my guest. Nothing I could possibly say would change your mind so we can just agree to disagree.

We'll have to, because you've failed at debate 101 and refuse to give up an entrenched yet indefensible position.

i268.photobucket.com_albums_jj18_XxANodYnExX_sharkinroof.jpg

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll have to, because you've failed at debate 101 and refuse to give up an entrenched yet indefensible position.

Let's go over what has happened in this thread.

-Video of Holder talking is posted, outrage ensues

-I post saying that the speech was directed mainly at the topic of kids bringing guns to school, not gun ownership in general

-You say the audience isn't 100% children

-I say I never claimed that, and highlight the portion of his speech where he specifies that "especially young people" are who he's talking about

-You claim I've failed at debate 101 and that I have an "indefensible" position, then post a picture of a shark in a house

Is this how discussion usually pans out around here?

Latest posts

Top Bottom