Think you're good at following directions? Give these step-by-step instructions a shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to collect old mechanical calculators and business machines just for fun. Some time back I came across this old 1930's Monroe business calculator, which believe it or not still worked fine. I no longer have it, but this typed sheet of instructions on how to find the square root of a number was with it. I'm pretty old myself and have seen a lot of hand-typed instruction manuals for old machines, but this one pretty much took the cake for outright jaw-dropping complexity. Of course I couldn't resist trying it. The procedure actually worked, assuming you have massive patience and an hour or so to devote to finding the square root of a number. Really makes me appreciate the early HP and Texas Instruments handheld calculators of the 60's.

Attachments

• IMG_E0551.JPG
    IMG_E0551.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    1.3 MB
Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the USAF, Tech School, when calculators first hit,,,
I paid $109.95 for a Texas Instruments SR-7,,,
Slide Rule - 7 function.

Then had to compete for one of the two electric outlets to plug it into.

Just last week I bought a calculator from Wal Mart,,,
It has all of the 7 functions of that TI-SR-7,,,
As well as memory Plus and Minus.

And it's solar powered.

It cost me 99-cents + tax.

Aarond

HKP7M13

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to collect old mechanical calculators and business machines just for fun. Some time back I came across this old 1930's Monroe business calculator, which believe it or not still worked fine. I no longer have it, but this typed sheet of instructions on how to find the square root of a number was with it. I'm pretty old myself and have seen a lot of hand-typed instruction manuals for old machines, but this one pretty much took the cake for outright jaw-dropping complexity. Of course I couldn't resist trying it. The procedure actually worked, assuming you have massive patience and an hour or so to devote to finding the square root of a number. Really makes me appreciate the early HP and Texas Instruments handheld calculators of the 60's.
My high school business math teacher used one of those in class. It was interesting to watch him enter numbers, turn the crank, flip the top platen to change columns, then crank it some more to obtain the answer.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the USAF, Tech School, when calculators first hit,,,
I paid $109.95 for a Texas Instruments SR-7,,,
Slide Rule - 7 function.

Then had to compete for one of the two electric outlets to plug it into.

Just last week I bought a calculator from Wal Mart,,,
It has all of the 7 functions of that TI-SR-7,,,
As well as memory Plus and Minus.

And it's solar powered.

It cost me 99-cents + tax.

Aarond

So, basically same price?

My first TI was $125. Mom griped and griped, that I needed to learn how to work the problem , not just put it in calculator. Kept telling her, I know how, that looking up tangent, sine and cosine tables took to long and I couldn't get finished in time. Dad understood and bought it. I surpassed Mom in math in 3rd grade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom