Thinking About A New Car - Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably most new cars are better and more reliable than the older ones were.

Absolutely. The new cars are light years ahead of the older ones. The technology to build them is in the hands of computers now to adjust fuel flows according to the altitude, humidity, temperature, etc and to make the lubrication do its job which has also evolved.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't help you any on this one. I have a 92 Chevy 2500, a 96 Chevy 1500, and a 98 Chevy Suburban. Not a single "car" or "new" one amongst them. Lol

Mystery

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has posted here. Lots of good ideas that I hadn't considered. Yesterday evening I took a Toyota Highlander and 4Runner out for pretty extensive test drives. The Highlander for me was the winner thus far, even above the Cadillac XT5. At the advise of this thread, I'll be looking into the Honda, Buick, Kia, Lexus and Acura models as well. Thanks a bunch.

Also, on a somewhat comical side note, I was at Bob Moore Toyota last night, and after leaving the dealership I saw that there was an Audi dealer right there. I stopped to look at the Q5, which would be at the top point of my preferred price range. I have a friend who has been a staunch Audi supporter for years, and I'm sure they make fine automobiles, but when I realized it would take a shoehorn to get me into the driver seat of the Q5, I left. Was at the dealership for maybe 3 minutes!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the wife a new 4Runner SR5 4x4 with 3rd row seating. She was driving a Honda AWD CRV that was underpowered and sounded like a sewing machine. But it was reliable and fairly inexpensive to purchase and operate.

You really can’t beat Toyota’s engineering. They are very well designed vehicles. The 4Runner drives more like a truck than an suv. The Highlanders are nice and drive more like a car than the 4Runner and have more room inside. I tried to steel her to a Sequoia, but she didn’t want that big of a vehicle. The wife’s next vehicle may be a highlander.

I had a 2012 Tacoma for about 5 years and had zero issues with it. The Tacoma probably holds its value better than most Vehicles. I sold it for about $5k less than I bought it new and it had about 86k miles.

We bought the 4Runner from Jim Norton Toyota in Tulsa. They beat our best price and provided a Highlander to drive for over a month until the 4Runner was delivered. It was actually a great purchase experience.

Mystery

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the wife a new 4Runner SR5 4x4 with 3rd row seating. She was driving a Honda AWD CRV that was underpowered and sounded like a sewing machine. But it was reliable and fairly inexpensive to purchase and operate.

You really can’t beat Toyota’s engineering. They are very well designed vehicles. The 4Runner drives more like a truck than an suv. The Highlanders are nice and drive more like a car than the 4Runner and have more room inside. I tried to steel her to a Sequoia, but she didn’t want that big of a vehicle. The wife’s next vehicle may be a highlander.

I had a 2012 Tacoma for about 5 years and had zero issues with it. The Tacoma probably holds its value better than most Vehicles. I sold it for about $5k less than I bought it new and it had about 86k miles.

We bought the 4Runner from Jim Norton Toyota in Tulsa. They beat our best price and provided a Highlander to drive for over a month until the 4Runner was delivered. It was actually a great purchase experience.
Thanks SlugSlinger. Thus far, the Highlander is in the lead. We went out today to look at a few others, but nothing has overtaken the Toyota yet. I have to leave town tonight, but next week I'll be looking at the Buick and Lexus models. We'll see how it goes. I appreciate all the advise and opinions offered on this thread. Thanks to everyone.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ve had 3 Porsche Cayenne Turbos. We are ordering a 2019 as soon as they let us. We have the first turbo allocation that Jackie Cooper gets for the 2019 redesign. I can’t speak highly enough about them. The base models are actually pretty affordable. The basic turbo is pretty ridiculous but the base V6 is the same basic car.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my 1995 Tacoma with 345 thousand miles on it to the second person that looked at it, and he had cash in hand.
$4000.00
Toyota has great resale value.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m enjoying my Tacoma, picked it up 3 weeks ago. If we didn’t get this we were considering a Subaru Forester. They had one at Woodland Hills Mall that had a lift kit and some aggressive tires, looked very nice, might be something to look at.
03EEF994-3E89-48F5-8FA2-C8C4D354B376.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom