Thinking About Joining OKC Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would joining the OKCGC be worth it? $300 my first year and a 40 minute drive. Right now I drive an hour to my grandpas land in Hinton but its not at all set up for shooting. Im at a point where Im either going to join the OKCGC or invest that $300 (and probably a lot more) in steel targets and what not at Hinton.

I have a few questions.

What are the hours? I couldn't find them on the website
Do they have a trap machine and do they keep it set up during the weekdays?
Can someone post up a number for who I need to call? It would be nice to have a guest day where I go out there and shoot for a day to see how I like it.
Your general experience...pros and cons?

thanks everyone.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are no hours really. Shooting during daylight. When you join, you get a code to the gate and you can come and go as you please. Multiple facilities, including IIRC a self service skeet/trap area.

Best bet to check it out would be to attend a match. Most/all matches are open to non-members.

I'm in my second year and I love it. I often have a range to myself and the drive isn't bad. I probably need to get up there more but it's cheap enough that just a few trips make it worthwhile to me.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might check with the membership contact. At one point, they'd stopped taking new members, but that may have changed now.

They take new members almost every year, and sometimes twice a year...just depends on attrition really. I got my notification to attend orientation very shortly after submitting the application.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didnt realized it was such an exclusive thing.

It's not an "exclusive thing" it's just that the bylaws cap the membership at a certain number. I'm thinking that most all private clubs do. Once they have that number fullfilled you get on a waiting list. I remember years ago it took quite awhile to get in and I think you had to have another member vouch for you. It's much faster and easier now. It's a great facility, you'll like it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
ooohh, you would love the shotgun ranges! 5 skeet fields and two trap fields. the new five stand is up and running also. best money i spend each year. get a work day in and it's only $120 a year. no brainer for 365, seven days a week shooting. 40 min drive isn't bad, heck, it takes me thirty from the west side of edmond.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The skeet/trap area is not open to everyone. You have to go through an orientation that apparently consists of working 2 or 3 matches, which ever they arbitrarily decide at the time you ask...

You have to work with the Range Officer 3 times during the open shooting hours (9:00 am - 12:00 pm. This is to ensure the member understands not only the range safety requirements but also how to operate the machines. They have allowed members to use Registered Shoots as a substitute for working with the RO if the were a part of crew opening up and closing the fields. Again, it's about making sure members understand range safety and machine operation. Those machines are very expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom