Thinking About Joining OKC Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Where is the five stand?? It's been a while since I've been out there...

drew, go into the cowboy action gate off of hiawasee and take a left once you're in. drive around the defunct shotgun/muzzle loader range and you'll see it

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The machines are not near as expensive as fingers... Shotgun side is getting better as the old angry white guys die off and/or are replaced.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is 1.5 hr round trip for travel on each trip for me. Going on three weekends for a guy who owns a retail business isn't going to happen either. I have been certified on the same machines at another club I was a member of previously. If someone needs 9 hrs of training to operate these machines and understand the range safety, I would have real concerns about being on the same range with them when they have a gun in their hands. The requirement is excessive IMO.

I hear you. But, you would be amazed at the number of people who have the Honors Field stickers and still cannot open and close the range correctly or follow simple instructions - Machines turned off and left cocked, windows left open, machines left empty, empty boxes left in the trap houses, target speeds and direction adjusted in ways that make no sense, and the list goes on. There is only a handful of members that end up have to clean-up after those who don't follow the Honors Fields requirements or worse have to repair the machines. Call Paula / Brent - their contact information is on the website. They are very helpful and accommodating to the club members. I'm sure that they (and Bob Fiely) can work something out to fit your schedule so that you can get your Honors Sticker. They really encourage club members to use the shotgun ranges. Personally, it's my favorite place. Send me a PM if you want more information or detail. By the way, 4 skeet fields are now open for Honors instead of just the 2 we use to have.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't always a few knuckleheads who ruin it for everyone else? I also get that it is always a few people who do the majority of the work and I understand their reluctance to certify more knuckleheads. I keep hoping someday my schedule might lighten up enough to get in there enough times, but it never does.

That's a good way to put it.

Seriously, call Paula. I'm sure accommodations can be made. You don't have to do the training 3 days in a row or anything like that. It can be spread-out over multiple weekends or months, if needed, and can include Registered Shoots (we only have one left this year at OKC). Also, you could work with the Range Officer in the morning and then shoot with others in the afternoon making it even more worthwhile. There are always Honors Field members shooting in the afternoon and into the evening on weekends. I can't think of any who would not welcome a newcomer to shoot with them.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put an app in about a month and a half ago. Nothing yet. I'm looking forward to hearing from them. I need a place to shoot rifles at a decent distance, and really like the idea of having a pistol bay to myself. There are a lot of drills I'd like to run that are very difficult at a public range.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put an app in about a month and a half ago. Nothing yet. I'm looking forward to hearing from them. I need a place to shoot rifles at a decent distance, and really like the idea of having a pistol bay to myself. There are a lot of drills I'd like to run that are very difficult at a public range.

I'd expect to hear something in Nov-Dec timeframe. I think that's one of the times per year when they approve new members.
Then again, my memory could be an issue.
Shooting bays are nice, usually readily available when there isn't any kind of shoot going on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom