Thinking of getting an AK. Got a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Romanian and it is tough as nails. Although, all of them are tough as nails. I also have a Saiga in the same caliber 7.62x39. Nice rifle. Very accurate and well put together. Neither has ever had a FTF or FTE.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to one of the big gun shows and try to find a good stamped Mak or NHM, one that hasn't been messed with too much. You'll pay a little premium over most other stamped AK's, but you'll get some good metal. They were going for upwards of $800 just a few years ago, but they can be had for $4-500 now, if you're patient.

Mak-90's and NHM-90's are 16" bbls and Mak-01's and Nhm-91's are 20" bbls. There are milled versions of both that are quite a bit more expensive.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a TGI AMD-65 built by FEG in Hungary and it freaking awesome. TGI imports them and then opens up the mag well to take double stack mags. Very high quality rifle, and IMO probably the best AK deal going on right now. I got mine for $414 with free shipping and free transfer. The TGI AMD65s have chromed barrels which is a very nice bonus.

Stay away from the Century Arms AMDs.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about them so, if you wanted to but a good one what would you look for?

:anyone:

Ak ramble on

Ive a bit of experiance with clackers in general... and in my humble opinion for factory guns there is almost no differance in function or reliability other than minor cosmetic details and finishes. Some have bulged receivers, some dont, some have receiver dimples and some dont, under folder, side folder, types of folders, finishes. It comes down to what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

Heres something to think about. One of those expensive chicom aks doesnt shoot any better than a cheep rommy ak. When those chicoms came in people didnt think to high of them back then. The main reason they are expenive isnt because they are better but because of supply and demand. You cant get a new ones because of the Clinton ban on Chicom weapons, so the price tag comes with it. Some have thicker receivers than others. The differance is either a 1mm or 1.5ish mill receiver and it makes no differance though some may say it does. Unless you are getting a full auto then it doesnt. Milled are nice but a little heavier and come with a several hundered dollar higher price tag verse a stamped receiver. Ak is an AK is an AK.

Side note, Galil's are good, and Im not talking about those century made ones. Those are a role of the dice because of thier drunk monkey smiths..

There is even talk of the dreaded canted fron sight posts on rommys. That isnt the norm. Dont worry about side to side mag wobble. That is normal and the nature of the beast. And stay away from the ones that have a bunch of unneeded junk on them. Just weighs em down.

Basicaly Im saying if you want to have fun buy a cheep one because it will shoot just as good as an expensive one. My main warning is to stay away from the home made ones. Stick to an inported one and you will be ok.

Ramble off

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maks and NHMs have better triggers than most and the receiver metal is thicker. Do a little googling and you can see some comparisons.

I buy stuff with an eye toward the future. Chinese AK's will continue to increase in value at a better rate than many of the others. There is something to be said for supply and demand. You can get a Chinese, if you're patient, for just a little more than a Romanian.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Valmets, Galil, Polytech, Arsenal, Norinco or a kit built on a Firingline milled reciever.
AK's, they're all good.
Actually I can feel and hear a difference cycling the action of the Valmet, it just seems tighter and smoother.
The trigger is very nice also and I like the longer sight radius.

Latest posts

Top Bottom