This morning's pig hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was a success - we called it a day at 6:20 am when my little Mexican huntin buddy (pictured) dropped this pretty good sized one its tracks at Deep Fork - got really lucky - near as we can tell, the shot went straight into one of his nose holes and into the brain - no exit hole - flopped over and didn't move. The pig saw him first and was looking at him. Rifle is a sporterized Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm, which I sold him (like an idiot), wearing a Pentax Gameseeker 3-9x40 from Academy. This was one of three he saw. They were munching on some corn that someone else had put on the ground what looks to be a week or two back. Shot was from about 50 yards standing unsupported --he thinks it was 75, but he's a notorious over-estimater of yardage. We don't know, but we're guessing this boar was 160-180 lbs on the hoof. Tusks were maybe 1.5". His first hog. He thought one of the other two looked bigger.

Great hunt - heading to get ice & breakfast before 8am, before it really got hot!

ai898.photobucket.com_albums_ac188_drtadhusseinwinslow_009_1.jpg

ai898.photobucket.com_albums_ac188_drtadhusseinwinslow_012.jpg

Reaction score
We were extremely lucky. The river was and is *insanely* flooded - bayou/swampy way way up from the bank - literally just a river through the woods - it's crazy-looking. So this (evidently) pushed the hogs up to the parking area essentially. Never had such a smooth hunt, at least for him. I didn't see any pigs, but then again, I hadn't been hunting for 30 minutes before I heard him shoot and went to investigate. My hunts never go this smoothly either, hog or otherwise. :D

Oh yeah, right after I took that second pic, he cut through one of the Achilles tendons, and the pig dropped to the ground. He had to finish skinning / butchering on the ground - I explained to him that we nearly all make that mistake - ONCE. :)

Reaction score
Wish my hog hunts went that smoothly

Oh yeah, and speaking of, that's not all of it. Whoever put that corn down did it on a 'pathway' of sorts (I won't call it a road, but a 4-wheeler/4WD pickup path), and the pig dropped right there, so I pulled the pickup straight to the beast - no dragging! Did I mention it was a "good hunt"? :D

Thanks for all the responses. My buddy is soaking the meat in ice, salt and lemon juice for 3 days - if he tastes really good, I may just become a piggie huntin fanatic here.

P.S. Anyone know if this pig was likely a 2 yr old, 3 yr old, or what?

porboy29

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good hunt and post. If it tastes good I'll try that on my next one. I take it that the lemon juice tenderizes the meat. Wonder what ratio of salt and lemon juice he uses??

Latest posts

Top Bottom