This morning's pig hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, lotta tracks but didn't see any. Got hotter than hell by 7:30 am slogging around in the mud and spider webs in there. It wasn't a hunt for the faint of heart. My brilliant idea of chest waders didn't help me keep cool any either.

Also, a couple of guys pulled up to the entry area where we were about 7am with a pickup & trailer (my friend talked them), and unloaded these two HUGE pig traps and just set them down about 100 yards apart on the public land, just right near the entrance. They made a hellacious noise in unloading them, so I think every pig for a mile or so took off. These two ol' boys live just a mile or so down the road, they said. Pretty good-looking traps - round config.

Saw a few deer on the public land. Two of them gettin after the permissions in one of these huge patches.

I'm thinkin we'll hit Canton in August. At this Deep Fork location, it has to be either really really wet (as it was last time we went, and probably was also last weekend), where the pigs are forced out of the huge thick bottoms, OR really dry, where you can walk down in there without going 10 inches into the mud with every step. But today was in between, and it didn't seem ideal, as it did last time.

We drove around and tried one area on the north side of the river, too, but not even any tracks up there - it did look like a pretty good deer area, with scrapes and bedding circles etc.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sucks you guys didn't see anything. I don't mind a hard hunt but it makes it even harder if you don't get an opportunity at a shot. I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing...

I'm definitely in the next time you guys got room for another. The summer hunts can be brutal but like they always say you can't kill anything sitting on the couch. I did however get to catch up on a couple hours of hunting shows!

I can't wait for the fall and some colder weather. But till then we'll just have to tough it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom