This old gun needs an identity.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool you got this home, and it didn't hurt anyone. My dad had a Thompson stuffed in his duffle bag when coming back from Germany. They were checking and found it and took it of course. He was there at the end of the Battle of the Budge and when Germany surrendered. Didn't have enough points, so he was told he had 30 day leave and then ship out to Japan. I think he wanted to take the Thompson with him. The H bomb saved him from going.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That puppy be old!
ETA: if this link is correct it’s a 2nd change

The S/N on this old gun starts with 312

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a M1905 first change 5.5 inch barrel
My first attempt at the barrel length was with Apple measure on the iphone. It was incorrect.
Here is a pic of the correct length.

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The author asked me to post my reply to him via PM so here goes,
Hi there, so that's serial number is difficult to pin down the exact date but I can tell you what you have is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. Its basically a matter of math and a bit of guessing. They made 758,296 of those between serial numbers 241704-1000000. Between years 1915-1942. I'd say that puts yours between 1918-1920

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The author asked me to post my reply to him via PM so here goes,
Hi there, so that's serial number is difficult to pin down the exact date but I can tell you what you have is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. Its basically a matter of math and a bit of guessing. They made 758,296 of those between serial numbers 241704-1000000. Between years 1915-1942. I'd say that puts yours between 1918-1920
You also said the S/N on the buttstock should match the one on the face of the cylinder. I was intrigued as I'd never seen one there.
Got a soft bristle brush and worked on it before finding it finally. They match!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sushi and Pistols also told me that there should be a S/N on the barrel just in front of the extractor. There is none I can find. Oddly there is little to no corrosion on the underside of the barrel in that location. He pointed out that it is pinned, so has the barrel been changed?
I have fired it many times with standard .38 S&W ammo. Never any +P stuff. None of the old guns will stand up to modern ammo pressures, so always keep that in mind when shooting them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom