Threatened to quit my job today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After a(nother) week of getting my ass kicked every night, I sent an email to my direct superior telling him I was looking at other employment opportunities last night. I'm tired of going to work every night dreading how badly I'm going to get beaten up and wondering when the next (unavoidable) lawsuit is going to be filed.

Steps are supposedly being made to make things better, but they sound like too little, too ineffective, and designed to keep the profit rolling to the corporate office.

I'm tired of giving my all, hating my job (which is doing something I LIKE) and being told I'm an ungrateful, spoiled little brat by administration, the public and the legal system almost every day, it seems like.

If I could do it, I'd leave not just this career, but this country far behind and open a dive shop in the Caribbean. :(

<edit> Sorry, been a tough week, lost a few, won a few, but overall just feel like I've been beat with a bat (mentally and physically) for the last several years. I get 2 nights off, get to do a little more than just say, "Hi" to my son and my wife in passing, then I get to go back and do it again.

Feels like not just a rat race, but a rat cage inside a rat maze - all while cruel children poke sticks at you through the wire mesh. <sigh>

I'm sorry, I just feel the need to vent - I don't really have many (any) friends I see, so OSA is the only place I feel like anyone gives a sh|t. Except my wife, of course, she's great. I'm just sad this is what my life has come to. :(

Carry on, hope ya'll have better days than this.
If I hated my job as bad as you and didn't get to see my family very much I don't care how much I made or what I was doing I would find something else to do. Life is too short. My family comes before any job. That's why I have had A lot. But thank God I finally was blessed with a great job with a great company. I'm sorry things are so bad at your job. Sounds like the company are a bunch dirt bags. Good luck to ya. Go out and burn through about 1,000 rounds and let off some steam. I hope things get better.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell your boss you need a vacation. Then, pack up and hit the mountains. Nothing like walking in the beauty of the Rockies in the Fall to get you relaxed and recharge the old batteries. While you are getting some good advice, I'm familiar with medical facilities in western Oklahoma, and while the stress level would drop dramatically, I'm afraid the income in those areas probably wouldn't compare to what you have now.

Like I said...recharge.

Oh, and if you want to do some really serious shooting, check out Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex just south of Colorado Springs. They've got set ranges for paper target, but also steel targets further out....as much as 1000 yards.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've requested one for Nov... the problem is, if I don't work, I don't get paid. No paid vacations in my line. And when I take off a good amount of time, I have to work extra the rest of the month to make up for it... so I end up getting even MORE burned out right before I leave. Happened in July when I had to work 15 out of 19 or something, then went on a mission trip to Nicaragua and worked my butt off there, came back still tired and started it all over again.

It's a never-ending cycle.

And no, I'm not chasing the almighty dollar, I don't have a choice. I HAVE to work this much and HAVE to make as much as I do, or I go bankrupt. We're keeping our head above water and not much more. It will be better if they get us some help.

There are only 4 of us - the oldest is saying he can't take this anymore, he is wanting to quit before flu season because he physically cannot keep up the way things are right now. Another apparently this morning said he has other offers and he is out... he's been talking like this a while, but if he's serious, maybe they will wake up - with my official complaint, too. Like I said, our director knows and agrees, but he cannot make a change, corporate has to make the change. The only way that will happen is if they feel they have to or they cannot staff the department, so maybe this is the straw that will bring the camel down to his knees. I can hope. I like the place, I like the people I work with, I like doing the legitimate parts of my job that I signed up for - it's the BS and the overloading and the short staffing that makes it miserable.

Think about it - if your mother, wife, or child was extremely sick, would you want the person taking care of them to feel like he did not have the time to devote to them to do the job right? To take care of them to the best of his ability? That he was stretched too thin, burned out and understaffed? Those are the kinds of things that make people perform worse, not better... and in healthcare, you do NOT want that.

Jus' sayin'.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I don't even know what you do, but it sounds very important tho. Hope it all works out for you. The people you help need you. Your family needs you. And bills suck but they motivate us to work hard. You sound like a great father and family man. Hang in there. I lost my own father early in his life due to his career. Type A personality in a high pressure position as a business owner always working, he left us early due to his health not keeping up with the stress. I have vowed to not do that to my kids. I'm not being lazy, just decided now that they're finally all off to college and 2 in their own careers that I would spend the rest of my time helping them.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost my own father early in his life due to his career. Type A personality in a high pressure position as a business owner always working, he left us early due to his health not keeping up with the stress. I have vowed to not do that to my kids.

This is my concern, and another reason I've told them I'm not going to put up with it... oh I can do the work the way it is now, but it is a constant stress for 12 hours a night, and I don't wanna keel over on the job in 5 years or 10 years.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in healthcare. No big deal, just we don't have enough help, understaffed for the volume we have. It's a common theme in healthcare these days.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my concern, and another reason I've told them I'm not going to put up with it... oh I can do the work the way it is now, but it is a constant stress for 12 hours a night, and I don't wanna keel over on the job in 5 years or 10 years.

You'd like it where I work. Much, much better than Tishomingo was. We are not short handed here. You might want to talk to our friend sometime and see if our Doc could use an extra hand. He has plenty of PAs, and at times has Doctors. We are up to strength on LPNs, but mainly short on RNs. We have copious amounts of agency help for CNAs. He keeps the hospital pretty full.

Latest posts

Top Bottom