Three Men Arrested After Buying Gun At Gun Show In OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still waiting for the data to support the assertion that felons purchasing guns from private sellers at gun shows is a major source of illegal gun traffic.

Without that data, you are yourself using faulty logic and going on perception. Passing laws that restrict private property rights in order to combat a perception is moronic and ineffectual.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You miss the point that no one has the right to infringe on anyone else's rights even a little bit.
In a perfect world, that would, perhaps, be true. Because in a perfect world, everyone would, perhaps, exercise their rights responsibily. The reason that government has a "right" (some would say "duty" or "obligation" rather than "right") to infringe on people's "rights" is that people do not always exercise their rights responsibily. In this imperfect world of ours, the idea that rights imply a certain amount of responsibility in their exercise has been forgotten or ignored. Everyone is up in arms about their "rights", but no one seems to be talking about the responsibilities that go along with the exercise of any given right. Nancy Lanza was well within her 2nd Amendment rights to possess the guns her son, Adam, used to kill those 20 children and 7 adults in Newtown, but there is also no doubt that those guns were used irresponsibily. I believe in the 2nd Amendment as much as anyone else does, but I also believe in the responsible exercise of 2A rights. Unfortunately, not everyone with access to a gun believes the same, and this is why the government is involved in the whole mess.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you post another slippery slope argument? Then back it up with events in other states that followed each other chronologically? Just because one thing followed another, it's not evidence of causation. Yesterday, I washed my car, and today it blew an engine. Therefore, car washes cause catastrophic engine failure. Another logical fallacy.

Do you seriously believe that if we put this into place in Oklahoma that it would lead to gun registration and confiscation in Oklahoma? Do you? Yes or no, please.

I know it would provide the mechanism to make it possible.
Do you believe that for whatever reason Oklahoma is different or special and what has happened elsewhere can't happen here?
Do you believe history repeats itself?

Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too.
~Marcus Aurelius

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if your a great troll but if not I am sure you can get a job working for Dianne Feinstein.

You can certainly disagree with OkieBryan, when he came to Lawton and spoke about the Oklahoma Open Carry Association I know I didn't agree with all he said, but you cannot seriously believe the statement I quoted above from your post.
If you think he is off track now - just state that with your reasons but stop launching personal insulting attacks on him. My gosh we are supposed to be adults having a serious conversation about matters of consequence not kids insulting each other on the playground.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a perfect world, that would, perhaps, be true. Because in a perfect world, everyone would, perhaps, exercise their rights responsibily. The reason that government has a "right" (some would say "duty" or "obligation" rather than "right") to infringe on people's "rights" is that people do not always exercise their rights responsibily. In this imperfect world of ours, the idea that rights imply a certain amount of responsibility in their exercise has been forgotten or ignored. Everyone is up in arms about their "rights", but no one seems to be talking about the responsibilities that go along with the exercise of any given right. Nancy Lanza was well within her 2nd Amendment rights to possess the guns her son, Adam, used to kill those 20 children and 7 adults in Newtown, but there is also no doubt that those guns were used irresponsibily. I believe in the 2nd Amendment as much as anyone else does, but I also believe in the responsible exercise of 2A rights. Unfortunately, not everyone with access to a gun believes the same, and this is why the government is involved in the whole mess.

MM - the guns were used irresponsibly, illegally, and immorally by a mentally disturbed person but more importantly they may have been secured inadequately from that same person by the legal owner. I can't speak for that woman but if I had a child who had a drug problem, for instance, I sure as heck wouldn't supply them large amounts of cash nor keep my legally prescribed and properly possessed drugs within that child's reach. I think the analogy is appropriate.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
History doesn't repeat itself; historians repeat themselves. With apologies to Marcus A.

let's see...New Zealand, 1921 the ownership of revolvers were allowed in the name of personal defense, 1970s this list was used to confiscate all revolvers.

Canada...registration list 1990s, old guns grandfathered in, but this list is used for the state to confiscate the guns upon the death of the holder with no compensation to the estate

1996 Australia used it's list of registered semiauto hunting rifles to confiscate all those weapons.

The UK government instituted handgun registration in 1921, and about every 10 years or so they further restrict what can be owned and use the registration rolls to collect what is illegal.

How about Chicago, put in registration of long guns, used that same registration to confiscate semiauto long guns in the early 1990s

What about California, couldn't make up it's mind if the SKS was covered or not (1989), decided AFTER the registration period was closed that they needed to be registered, declared a second 'grace period' for registration...then about 5 years ago they decided that those SKSs registered during the grace period were illegal because the grace period was illegal, and in certain cities and counties sent law enforcement to the listed addresses demanding surrender of the firearm. Because there is the legal option of removing the gun from the state of CA, and these officers had no warrants, smart gun owners turned them away with the claim 'I gave it to a relative in Oregon (or whatever)' but MANY were seized with no compensation. (Cities and counties later on offered compensation for anyone who had a receipt, but the police weren't giving out receipts, only a few people who demanded them had them and they were basically notes scribbled on whatever spare paper the officer had)

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing to do with felons getting guns. That was posted in a list of possible benefits of what I was proposing.

In as far as your refute of ATF data, the study and the stuff you post are 10 years apart, and likely from different people in different areas of the ATF... also under VASTLY different leadership. How is one relevant to the other?

Anyway, you seem to be intent on leading the discussion down some rabbit hole. The bottom line is that before criminals learned how to acquire guns at gun shows, this wasn't a problem. That has changed. We need to do something about it. Or would you prefer that Sen McCarthy do it for to us?

Possible benefits for some at the expense of others, isn't that what's required for the "divide and conquer" tactic to work?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have not heard how that background checks on gun show purchases constitutes "ceding any more of our rights". If you are a law abiding citizen and are able to purchase, trade or sell firearms freely at market prices, without limits (other than your max credit on your Mastercard), and you are able to legally enjoy the ownership thereof, then your rights seem to be fully intact.

Still waiting for someone (anyone) to specifically articulate exactly how requiring that any gun sold at a gun show is sold to someone who has had their background checked constitutes an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms. Please, convince me that I'm wrong.

You heard it from me. It didn't fit your preconceived notions, so you chose to ignore it. It's very simple really, I'm disposing of my personal property in accordance with the law. I really don't care if you and your pal Dianne Feinstein like it or not, it's my property and I'll sell it in accordance with the law how I see fit. You're now telling me that getting government approval to sell my personal property isn't an infringement on my rights. I call ********. I'm now demanding that YOU tell ME exactly how requiring government approval to sell my personal property in accordance with the law IS NOT an infringement on my rights? You see, I'm not required to tell you or anyone else how my rights are infringed by a proposed law. It's your requirement as the pusher for this law to tell me how it DOESN'T! You've failed miserably to do that and gone on for 13 pages in your miserable failure. Therefore:

I now propose a law that okiebryan and his ilk be solely responsible for preventing felons from acquiring guns at gun shows. I further propose that okiebryan and his ilk be solely responsible for all associated costs in complying with this program. Further, I propose that okiebryan and his ilk do so without even slightly restricting my rights to sell my property in accordance with the law without interference from the government, okiebryan or any of his ilk. All in favor?

Slippery slope isn't an argument, it's a logical fallacy. Unless you have evidence that what I propose will more than likely lead, through a series of steps to complete disarmament, then that argument is a fallacious argument.

Did you miss the part where I said this is not as much about preventing any felon from getting any gun, rather preventing criminals from using OUR gun shows to buy guns FROM people like us? I can't think of a better way to prevent that than what I suggest. Can you?

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. This is something that we can and should control. We need to clean up our own house, especially now that the dirty little secret is out.

Here's a secret for you. Me exercising MY rights is not a dirty secret. YOU and your slimy proposal are all about appearances where my rights are concerned. Here's all the argument I'll ever need to refute your ridiculous proposal and your retarded argument:

I hear a lot about "compromise" from your camp ... except, it's not compromise.

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY DAMN CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise".

I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise".

LawDog

So you see, this HAS been a slippery slope since before you were born. It's a highly logical and valid argument that you refuse to see because you have a genius idea in your brain that no one else gets. The reason no one else gets it is because it's a stupid, unworkable and ineffective idea designed to make some foolish people BELIEVE that something has been done to protect people or rights. It is a LIE!As a complete lie, you cannot invent any argument, support it with any statistic form any source, pretend anymore in any way that your idea is anything but an infringement on MY rights! I will not tolerate it!

You should know from this point forward that you do not speak for anyone but yourself. You and you alone want this. SO if you intend to continue forward with this foolishness, you'd better make absolutely sure you don't take it upon yourself to speak for anyone but yourself. If you try to pretend you represent the gun community, I can assure you that you'll wind up with a LOT of egg on your face. Capiche? :wink2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom