Through the wall A/C I need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need (want to anyway) replace a through the wall unit. The unit that is in the wall is 31 5/8" by 17 5/8", I think the depth is 22" but that shouldn't be a big problem if its a little long or short. (those dimensions may be a little off, not more than 1/8") I have been told this size is obsolete and I will have to make the hole larger, that's a no go. It's too close to 3 by 6 plate glass windows and the corner of the wall.

Can someone tell me of any replacement units?

I actually have access to several old units, but no one seems interested in repairing one. I don't have the skills or the coolant.

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have to look into sizes. But I think te last oddball thru wall unit I found at granger. Be prepared to shell out some dough though. They can be pricey. If you get desperate on a repair and can get it to Tulsa then let me know and I'll fix it for ya

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granger,Carrier and possibly Johnstone Supply might carry them. I know fir sure carrier and grainer do. Get in graingers website and look at the sleeve dimensions,carriers site also,they are called PRACTICE units.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A mini split might be another option. I've installed quite a few of the Mitsubishi "mr Slim"units and am amazed at how well they work

Last edited:

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.

I always forget about Grangers, they have everything.

Pjackso, That may actually be the best Idea. Find an old trailer house self contained air conditioner. This is just to supplement in an add on den, it wasn't built to accommodate the heating/cooling duct work in the rest of the house. It has a flat roof (another not so great feature) and there is no way I can find to get under it. It's tempting to pull up the carpet ( I would like to replace it with wood or tile anyway) and run some duct work. That may actually be the most cost effective. 20 years ago I would have already done that. I'm not as willing to tear in to stuff now days. And so far it's only been hot about maybe 140 days this year.
I wonder if I can take an online AC repair course? I have access to a bunch of the same units as this (I don't think any of them work), so I should be able to scrounge parts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom