Ticks, chiggers, and skeeters. What works for you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started this thread because some are headed to Mcalester for a deer hunt and others have been bothered by these pesky critters when in the woods hunting, fishing, or hunting for shrooms.

Some places like Mcalester don't allow thermocels, and most insect repellants have an odor. Something hunters try to prevent.

Years ago, there was a cover-up camo outfit made of skeeter netting The top was like a t shirt with a full hood, face and all. Elastic around the cuffs and waist. Pants had elastic at the waist and ankles. I actually still have it, and it works great for early dove hunting. Air flows through, and one can wear shorts, and the skeeters can't get to you.

Since discovering Permethrin, I use nothing else. Its available in aerosol cans at Bass Pro, and used to be at walmart, but didn't see any at the Ponca store the last time I was there. Its an insecticide that you put on your clothes at least 24 hours in advance of going outdoors. It can only be sprayed on the outside of clothing, and has to dry for about 24 hours before wearing. Its not recomended to put on skin.

At Mcalester last weekend it was 85 degrees on scouting day, and while in the woods, I felt something crawling on the back of my hand, and it was a little tick. Looked down at my pants, and they were covered with them, but within seconds they all fell off. Never got a single tick or chigger bite during the whole trip.

Its odorless as well. As said before you can buy a $10 can at BP, or go to any ace hardware, feed store, etc that sells equine, or cattle medicine, and you can pick up a 7 oz bottle for $10, and a spray bottle for another buck, mix it yourself. Its 1 oz per quart of water, and I treated a dozen shirts, three pants, and three jackets, with only a half quart. It remains effective even after three or four washings. Needs retreated after that.

My buddy bought the spray can and used it up pretty quick.
Here is a link to the full story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Short version:
Permethrin is used:

as an insecticide
in agriculture, to protect crops
in agriculture, to kill livestock parasites
for industrial/domestic insect control
as an insect repellent or insect screen
in timber treatment
as a personal protective measure (cloth impregnant, used primarily for US military uniforms and mosquito nets)
in pet flea preventative collars or treatment.
[edit] Pest controlIn agriculture, permethrin is mainly used on cotton, wheat, maize, and alfalfa crops. Its use is controversial because, as a broad-spectrum chemical, it kills indiscriminately; as well as the intended pests, it can harm beneficial insects including honey bees, and aquatic life.[4]

Permethrin kills ticks on contact with treated clothing. A method of reducing deer tick populations by treating rodent vectors involves stuffing biodegradable cardboard tubes with permethrin-treated cotton. Mice collect the cotton for lining their nests. Permethrin on the cotton instantly kills any immature ticks that are feeding on the mice. It is important to put the tubes where mice will find them, such as in dense, dark brush, or at the base of a log; mice are unlikely to gather cotton from an open lawn.

Permethrin is used in tropical areas to prevent mosquito-borne disease such as dengue fever and malaria. Mosquito nets used to cover beds may be treated with a solution of permethrin. This increases the effectiveness of the bed net by killing parasitic insects before they are able to find gaps or holes in the net. Military personnel training in malaria-endemic areas may be instructed to treat their uniforms with permethrin, as well. An application should last several washes.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the mix it your self stuff at the feed store. I will have to try it.

I have had great luck with Permethrin and will not go into the woods without it again after having Rocky Mt Spotted Fever and West Nile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom