Ting Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to Google (ah yes, the irony of tech tracking):

Here are some statistics about electrical fires:

• In 2016, 0.02% of homes in the United States experienced an electrical fire.

• In 2022, there were 26,100 electrical malfunction fires in residential buildings, resulting in 185 deaths, 850 injuries, and $1,492,400,000 in losses.

• The leading causes of residential electrical fires are other electrical failure or malfunction (43%), unspecified short-circuit arc (23%), and short-circuit arc from defective, worn insulation (11%).

• The risk of electrical fires increases during the winter due to the use of electric heaters.

Looks like they were all easily prevented by proper use of appliances and possibly visual inspection or observation of your circuit breakers and fuses.

Don't need soros tracking my electrical usage. No one needs to know about my fusion reactor experiments and time dilation device experiments powered by OGE...

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are with State Farm Home Owners insurance and recently received a notification we were eligible for a free Ting Sensor. A ting sensor plugs into a standard wall outlet and can sense any abnormal electrical problem in one's house or from the electrical grid. It does not listen to conversations, etc. We ordered one and have it plugged in. It is pretty slick. One has to download an app to their smart phone and have WIFI.

So far it is working great and if I understand correctly other insurance companies are offering it to their customers and I am thinking by installing this it (may) help keep our home owner's premium lower. (again may)

https://newsroom.statefarm.com/state-farm-offers-customers-more-than-one-million-free-ting-sensors/
One buys insurance to shift liability to insurance company for major loss threats. The Ting will give insruance company method to deny your claim, make you spend money to reduce their risk, but not your premiums.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're worried about arcing in wire connections, install arc-fault breakers or AFCI receptacles. Only one needed per circuit. That way the offending circuit will be disconnected instead of just relying on a device to alert you.

What happens downstream of your electric meter is on you, not the utility.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
State Farm is said to be the worst.
Im thinkin Allstate is the bottom of the barrel - Iv had a few over my lifetime and found faults and good by all of them
I went to StFarm after replacing my roof and my Ins went UP from 4k up to 5k/yr
I questioned and they said it was clerical error and went back to 4k =no change
checked with StFarm and because of the roof I put on same coverage dropped to 1850/yr =less than 1/2 _ watched as she entered data and when she selected the type of roof -BOOM- the price dropped -- I thought the previous was one of the best

Latest posts

Top Bottom