Tire choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Michelin defender is all I'll run on SUV/Truck. Long lasting deep tread, and the ride is exceptional. Like others have said, drop down to the 18" rim size. My wife's Denali has the 22" and it rides a little rough. Next time it needs tires, I may go to the 20" rim.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Michelin defender is all I'll run on SUV/Truck. Long lasting deep tread, and the ride is exceptional. Like others have said, drop down to the 18" rim size. My wife's Denali has the 22" and it rides a little rough. Next time it needs tires, I may go to the 20" rim.
Like a dumbA at the time. I popped 24 inch American Force wheels on my pickup. they look sweet and I was selling wheels at the time, so it helped being flashy. That times over and i need to park the wheels and put my 20inch back up set of Fuels on. lol but I should have bought the Nitto's to go on them when I was getting the Nitto deal of buy 2 get 2 at wholesale cost. Being unemployed this long puts tires out of my budget at the moment. but my long winded point was, the 24's look nice but the smaller section height makes it a rougher ridr.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think OEM tires were continental touring tires, there's marginally softer tires in the cheaper selections in that size, I doubt the michelins are softer considering its a pilot/sport type tire. A tire with such a short sidewall will never be a smooth riding tire, there's just not enough room to play with for comfort and compliance.

Nautilus had 3 wheel/tire sizes, 245/60-18, 245/50-20, and 265/40-21. Obviously the 18' wheel will offer the best or softest ride by size.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which Michelin tire do you have?

Michelin defender LTX M/S. 18inch wheel. 2022 Silverado 1500.

Most of my miles are highway, every now and then dirt/gravel road.

The LTX M/S has great dry and wet performance, very good snow and ice.

Its quite and has a great ride.

Got mine at discount tire 2 years ago, costs me around $1100 I think.

The 18in wheel is going to give you more sidewall, more size options, costs less and have a better ride.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned, in almost post, get rid of those 21" wheels. 18" will ride and handle better, at less $$$ and give you much better availability .

Wif's Lincoln came with 19" Continental tires (PoS). Limited availability, changed to 20", when tires were needed.

Nitto's are great. Cooper, Michelin, Yokohama, Hankook; all good replacements.

Watch Craigslist for OEM 18" or 20" wheels.

I have a set of 20", I have thought about selling.

1724102779776.png

3 tires are good, 1 has a hole, repairable. Tires & wheels $2800 new, I'm asking $1000. Fit 5 lug Ford / Lincoln

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom